S/C flying. Diesel or glow?

Button pushers
RalphJ

Re: S/C flying. Diesel or glow?

Post by RalphJ »

Diesel every time for me - but not PAWs I've had three and they can be sods to start. My 52'' Veron Deacon has a Mills 1.3 Mk 2 and is just right. The same engine is used for the 48'' Tomboy Senior. If it's a bit noisy it's at least not an annoying noise. Don't be put off by the fuel cost - you only use 6cc per flight!
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Diesels yes but PAW's are brilliant motors.

Had well over 30 and used to fly competitive combat with them as a kid. All start easily and are reliable . More importantley, spares are available and I believe they are the last UK old school manufacturer except the guy who took over making a couple of ED models.

Shaun.
Last edited by Shaun on 27 Mar 2018, 21:53, edited 4 times in total.
Pchristy

Post by Pchristy »

One point in favour of diesels: The extra vibration helps keep the escapements going! :lol:

Regarding PAWs (and I have a few), they can be little so & so's to start on D-1000 "Easy-Start" fuel! But they are dead easy on D-2000 or D-3000. They start easiest on D-3000, in my experience, but I was warned that that may not have enough oil for plain bearing motors, so I compromised on D-2000.

--
Pete
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

D 2000 is what I use
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

I too want to put a word in for PAWs....... I had one as a lad and now I have six and they all start and run beautifully. The only time I had a problem starting one (a 1.49) was the other day when the reason turned out to be old fuel....... I just couldn't work out why it wouldn't start so in desperation I opened a new tin of D1000 and it started straight away and ran with no problems. :D
RalphJ

Post by RalphJ »

Sorry - we seem to be drifting off topic - but the gauntlet has been thrown down so what can you do?!

My current PAW 1.49RC uses D2000 and goes like stink - but I've only ever managed to handstart it twice. Try every trick in the book it makes no difference. Reduce the compression and apply starter - instant result every time. The previous two I had were just the same. On the bench you could get them to go with a team racers clout but in a cowled model - no chance. Admittedly my PAW19 is a bit better. All my other diesels are fine starters.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

RalphJ wrote: 28 Mar 2018, 21:49 My current PAW 1.49RC uses D2000 and goes like stink - but I've only ever managed to handstart it twice. Try every trick in the book it makes no difference. Reduce the compression and apply starter - instant result every time. The previous two I had were just the same. On the bench you could get them to go with a team racers clout but in a cowled model - no chance. Admittedly my PAW19 is a bit better. All my other diesels are fine starters.
Could old fuel have been the problem? As I said above, I did have a problem with my 1.49. The fuel was last season's and had been sitting in a plastic "Valvespout" bottle for a few months however it started easily as soon as I tried it on a new can of fuel......

Paul
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Igull wrote: 14 Mar 2018, 22:28 ............... If you just want a retro feel, buy some Brylcreem :-)

Cheers

Neil
Now I'm starting to understand where names like Slicker & Slicker Mite came from :lol:

Might need to find a Brylcreem container to keep in the field box for rubber bands & to complete the illusion, a California Poppy bottle for the diesel fuel :P . But then I'd need a pair of stove pipe jeans & a leather jacket, but it's too damn hot out here & I'd absolutely damage something(s) bending over to pick up the aeroplane :oops: :shock:

The older I get the better I was :lol:
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
robinson727

Post by robinson727 »

My vote is diesel and it was easy? Everybody would do it !! :mrgreen:
Al the Colonist Luddite
bluejets

Post by bluejets »

Diesel and PAW for me also.
Youngest son learned to fly on a home made trainer similar to the Aeroflyte 15 trainer with the PAW up front.

Lucky I had some fuel on hand after the flood.
Victa Commando mower went under 3' water and it was 2 months later before I could get to it and clean it out.
Tried flushing with all types, petrol, methanol, anything that would burn but not a peep out of the engine.
Gave it a shot of diesel and I had to chase it around the block to get it back.......smoked for a while but still ok 7 years later.
Bugger all lawn to mow now though...drought has set in.