Yet another Single Channel Encoder

Button pushers
Mike_K

Yet another Single Channel Encoder

Post by Mike_K »

Hi All

I've been working on a single channel encoder based on an Arduino Pro Mini for the past two years, indeed it was completed over a year ago and I've been flying it since then, but it has taken me longer to write a manual for it than it took me to write the code.

The encoder has worked out quite well, but not the manual, it seems 18 pages of gibberish (and I wrote it). I've decided I'm not a natural author and would never earn a living writing manuals. If anybody would care to improve the manual I'd be very grateful :)

I built a number of prototype encoder boards and have 6 that are spare and to the final specification, so if anybody would like one to try out, just PM me.

Finally I never know where a project like this should be posted, in the Single Channel section, in the Arduino stuff section, in the project section? If Ron or Phil would like to move it where they think best, it would be appreciated.
sc_encoder_03.jpg
Cheers

Mike

PS The instructions have been updated with Phil_G's suggestions and corrections

PPS A new version of the Arduino Sketch/Program has been uploaded to fix a bug with the low voltage alarm
Attachments
Single_Channel_03k.ino
(48.8 KiB) Downloaded 370 times
Single_Channel_Encoder_03j_01.pdf
(1.56 MiB) Downloaded 470 times
Last edited by Mike_K on 19 Mar 2019, 17:58, edited 2 times in total.
Tobe

Re: Yet another Single Channel Encoder

Post by Tobe »

Very well done not least the manual that allows also the newbie to go thru this project in a pure DIY spirit and be sure of a positive outcome. It's quite impressive what's cooking out there in the hide outs. I wrote earlier in an article that quite many of our projects are at the highest levels in their fields despite our trade is completely different!
Cheers,

Tobe
tiptipflyer

Post by tiptipflyer »

Thank you Mike for another great project.
Very well done and very well written. Even Me as a bloke from out of country can follow the instructions without any problem.
I will try it out and use it in my next S/C replica transmitter for sure.
With great appreciation
Frank
_AL_

Post by _AL_ »

Very nice.

It just so happens I'm working on another Arduino project for a pressure controller.

Since I had the soldering iron out......
20190307_210523_resized.jpg
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Thanks Mike, most impressive :)

Another project added to the list ;) :shock:
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
Phil_G

Post by Phil_G »

Yep!

Documents are always difficult, so many configuration options to convey, but it reads ok to me Mike.
Spotted one very minor, do a search&replace of 'pnp' with 'npn' :D

Nicely done.
Cheers
Phil
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

Thanks all for your kind comments.

I know I said it was fairly easy to build, but to have two of them built the following day did surprise me a bit!

Phil, how do you get things done so quickly, a video as well, blimey it would take me till next year to get round to videoing it and putting it on YouTube.

And thanks Phil for spotting my mix up with transistor type, the diagram is correct, the wording needs changing. How do I go about uploading an updated document?

Cheers

Mike
Phil_G

Post by Phil_G »

No probs Mike, it only took a few minutes to assemble but I didnt add the buzzer or any headers...
...and its just a vid from my phone so cheating really :D

Re the update, just go into edit as usual (the pencil symbol), click the attachments tab, delete the attachment, add the updated attachment, save.

One suggested addition thats not in the doc - if you already have a 'push to ground' button arrangement, then use A5 and ignore A4.

In the motor run table, just a suggestion, maybe swap the red & yellow columns so they match the photo alongside, Yellow-Blue-Red? I know you'd reverse the strict binary progression but that only matters to nerds like us, and then the table and pic would match up. Or take the photo from 'across' the ProMini?

suggestion.jpg

Anyway I added the buzzer and the headers - black is the new green :D

IMG_20190307_213657_028.JPG

The buzzer could alternatively go on the end if its more convenient, could even 'plug-in' if you have an FTDI header:

buzzer.jpg

Cheers
Phil
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

Hi Phil

Thanks for your suggestions, I'll update the instructions and upload later tonight or in the morning.

Mike
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

Hi Phil

The original instructions have been updated with your suggestions and corrections and are at the top of the post.

Cheers

Mike