Yet another Single Channel Encoder

Button pushers
MaxZ

Re: Yet another Single Channel Encoder

Post by MaxZ »

Mike,

I am sorry, I feel I am hijacking your thread a bit too much. Led by my enthusiasm for experimenting with s/c, arduino and the possibilities it presents, I can assure you, but nonetheless..

I have read your recommendation and I am thinking about it. I don't have to find a '70's or '80's transmitter, I have got one right here :) , my first "Microprop" tranny from Brand-Elektronik (Germany), bought in 1974 iirc. Four channels with mechanical trims, exactly what I need. All I'll have to do is add a s/c button and replace the electronics... :D

Cheers,
Max.

P.S. I see that Phil and Spike have reacted in the meantime. Re practising, I do need some form of proportional backup when flying at my club's field, I do not want to risk a landing outside the boundaries. Around the field a nature park is being developed, with occasional walkers close by. A busy road is passing at around 75 meters. I don't think my club mates will appreciate me making regular out landings while practising a "weird" control system :shock: And the shrubs next to the field are quite spiky........
A combined propo and s/c Tx could be a solution.
RON
Site Admin

Post by RON »

Phil_G wrote: 12 Jun 2019, 20:23 The Grimsby lads even made dedicated S/C transmitters with an 'emergency stick'

Ohh, I recognise that TX Decal :lol: :lol:

advanced_radio_single_emulator.jpg
G0MBV Class A Radio Amateur, North Yorkshire
JohnH

Post by JohnH »

After reading through the posts, I noticed that people had trouble with the throttle positions, i.e. low-mid-high-mid-low, etc. The problem being with the current arrangement, that if you are flying at mid throttle, unless you remember how you got there, you will not know if the next blip will give you low, or high throttle. You may not have time to study the LED blinks, or explore the throttle positions to sort out what you need.

The solution is to program the encoder to operate the throttle like all of the three position throttle escapements or S/C throttle servos used to operate. They all were sequential.
Low -Med -Hi-Low, etc. That way you always knew what throttle position was next, and you could go from any throttle position to any other with only one or two blips.

Further discussion here: http://mode-zero.uk/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=750
John H.
"Here's another fine mess you've gotten me into."
John Ryan

Post by John Ryan »

Help Required!
I have built Mike's S/c encoder using an Arduino Nano ( I had a spare doing nothing). It all worked first pop with pins 13 and A0 (compound mode)linked.
However I am unable to reverse the elevator and rudder. In fact the only programming function I have is linking pins 11&12 gives sequential mode removing the link gives compound.(It should turn the count down timer sounder off or on.)
The program entry mode is confirmed with a single beep and the program save beep also works.
The 3 position switch has no effect in program mode but works in run mode.
All the programming pins have the correct default logic levels on them and Ive also checked all the links make contact.
Can anyone help please?

John

Ps Ive also tried reloading the sketch.
MaxZ

Post by MaxZ »

Hi John,

Once in Program Mode the links should be set in accordance with Program Mode table on page 16 in the manual. You should temporarily take all links off, place the blue link (6&7) to reverse Rudder or place both blue (6&7) and yellow (4&5) links to reverse the elevator and save those settings.

Btw: in Operating Mode linking 13&A0 is I/C Mode throttle mode, no link is electric throttle mode. Linking 11&12 is Sequential Mode, no link is Compound Mode.

Cheers,
Max.
John Ryan

Post by John Ryan »

Hi Max
Thanks for your help. Unfortunately that didn't work.
The basic problem appears to be that the three position switch is disabled in program mode.
I'll reverse things mechanical.

Cheers

John
John Ryan

Post by John Ryan »

Sorted At Last
After reading Max's post again I managed to solve the problem. I built the encoder up on a pc board that the R/F module (35Mhz) sits on and also has a pulse inverter and buddy box input built up on it. As I want to use it in compound mode the link between pins 13 and A0 was part of the pc board. Max pointed out I needed to remove ALL the links before trying to program. After cutting the track and inserting a header to plug the link into it all worked. Took less than 2 mins to set up!
Thanks again Max.
Below are a few photos of the pc board and completed TX.

John
Attachments
P1070670.JPG
P1070673.JPG
P1070676.JPG
MaxZ

Post by MaxZ »

Good to hear you got it sorted John.

But I point out that compound mode is achieved by not having a link between pins 11 and 12 ( manual page 12). You said you have a link between pins 13 and A0, but that is setting the throttle mode to I.C., as opposed to electric motor mode. Read all about it on page 13 of the manual.

Cheers and happy flying,
Max.
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

Hi John

Good to hear you've got it all working OK and sorry I've not been on the forum for a week or two to answer your queries. And thanks Max for providing technical support - you seem to know as much about the encoder as me!

Cheers

Mike
John Ryan

Post by John Ryan »

Hi Mike & Max
Flew the new Tx today. It all worked 100% in a rudder only Mills 75 powered Simplex. Flew both with the button and the three position switch. Thats a great bit of programming you have done Mike. My Arduino knoweledge is pretty limited . You could say I know enough to be dangerous after buying a beginners kit last year during NZ's covid lock down and finding Paul Mc Worters tutorials on the net. I find Im pulsing rather quickly for left (press and hold) and often hear the beeper sounding an engine change. Ive looked at the script but not certian how to reduce the quick blip duration.
Thanks Mike for a magic script and Max for sorting me out

Cheers John