OS Pixie MK2 3D printed case

Button pushers
Mike_K

OS Pixie MK2 3D printed case

Post by Mike_K »

Hi All

As some of you will know, I've been working on an OS Pixie MK2 case for a number of years in OpenSCAD. It was basically completed, but my 3D printer wouldn't print the fine detail, so I was going to get it commercially printed, but the STL files generated by OpenSCAD are all invalid/corrupt (though my 3D printer will print the gcode). And that is where it has stalled.

I gave my self a deadline of this Christmas to either get my 3D printer upgraded (the upgrade bits are still in the box) or correct the OenSCAD file so it wasn't corrupted. Well, I've been so busy on other projects that I can't see me doing it before Xmas 2020, so I've decided to post the files to see if anybody can do a better job than me!

There are four files, the main enclosure, the bottom "base", the lid and a switch cover. The enclosure and base were going to be glued together and the lid held on with small magnets. I haven't got one to photograph as I gave the best one I had printed to Ron at Ponty this year (all the lid fine details was not printed). I've included STL files so you can see what they should look like.

All the OpenSCAD files have been zipped together as the forum doesn't allow *.scad files to be uploaded - any chance to allow these file types, Ron?

And by the way, the files each take ages to render - over an hour with my i7 PC.

Enjoy

Mike
Attachments
Pixie_switch_cover_03.stl
(445.54 KiB) Downloaded 247 times
Pixie_MK2_Lid_16a.stl
(17.76 MiB) Downloaded 241 times
Pixie_MK2_Enclosure_Lid_01d.stl
(2.12 MiB) Downloaded 256 times
Pixie_MK2_Enclosure_04b.stl
(917.41 KiB) Downloaded 235 times
Pixie_MK2.zip
(6.34 KiB) Downloaded 235 times
Tobe

Re: OS Pixie MK2 3D printed case

Post by Tobe »

Will give it a shot this weekend, my printer is on standby anyway Printing no issues what scares me is OpenScad as we never been in speaking terms :roll:
Running all my projects in Solidworks
Have red and blue filament
Cheers,

Tobe
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

Hi Tobe

It will be interesting to see if your slicer program is happy with the STL files. If it is OK, then there is no need to even open the OpenSCAD files, just try the STL. I put the OpenSCAD files up, in case anybody wants to edit them.

I like Solidworks but at many thousands Euros per seat, I can't afford it for home use. All the OS Pixie files were actually written in a text editor on an old Android tablet I use when travelling. Then I rendered them on my main PC when at home.

And I think you may guess what project has kept me busy for the last week or two :)

Thanks

Mike
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

I sure can...and you did very well.
Solidworks is part of my work that I bring home!
Cheers,

Tobe
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

Your .stl works fine in my slicer, I run Cura 4.4 on my "Cube". I have the pieces up and running now and for the next 9 hrs. I open them in both SolidWorks as IronCAd with no major issues.
I realized now why I have such a hard time with OpensCad....
I'm used to extrude everything versus writing commands.
Cube & Pixie.jpg
Cheers,

Tobe
tiptipflyer

Post by tiptipflyer »

Thanks for posting Mike.
I will get it printed soon. Let you know how it will work out.

Frank
Martin

Post by Martin »

Meshlab, which is free, allows you to import, fix, and save STL files.
tiptipflyer

Post by tiptipflyer »

Well, my newest transmitter replica, the OS Pixie MK2, will fit in this topic and in the NRF24 topic as well.
I got2 sets of Mike´s stl files printed some time ago ( thank you Mike for posting ) and decided to fit one of them with the NRF 24 outfit.
I used one of the elder high power modules (from my scrab-box) in a different layout, which fits nicely into the case with one of the tiny 3.3V modules. An arduino promini is the heart of it with a S/C program with extra throttle button.
Works great, flighttest will be next week.
OSPixieMK2.JPG
OSPixieMK2a.JPG
OSPixieMK2b.JPG
Cheers
Frank
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

Very well done there Frank as usual. You sure are the Master of Replicas!
Cheers,

Tobe
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

Hi Frank

It's great to see one has at last been built and as usual, it looks like you've made a lovely job of it. And with Phil's NRF24L01, it's a proper home-made transmitter.

Cheers

Mike