Compound or Sequential preference?

Button pushers
tiptipflyer

Compound or Sequential preference?

Post by tiptipflyer »

Does anyone use sequential?

Yes, I do. If I am ready for a real challenge, I do not need a 7m wingspan sailplane, or a 300mph racer or a 10000€ jet.
I use my Blunderbird with sequential rubber escapement. That gives me more of a challenge than all the above mentioned aircraft and all this on a low budget.
What more can you ask for.
As my old grandfather used to say:
"The best things on earth are for free or on a low budget."

Cheers
Frank
HenkB

Re: A single chip, Single Channel outfit :-)

Post by HenkB »

Well said :D
F2B

Re: A single chip, Single Channel outfit :-) the RF-Nano

Post by F2B »

Our formost sequential SC pilot in The Netherlands, with a real, rubber driven escapement :mrgreen: :
https://vimeo.com/425180072
Meanwhile, it's the 'converted' Futaba that does the job...
F2B or not to be....
GarydNB

Post by GarydNB »

....not a 'proper' one!
MaxZ

Post by MaxZ »

F2B wrote: 05 Jun 2020, 16:18Meanwhile, it's the 'converted' Futaba that does the job...
I can endorse that......., Henk is a proper buttoneer :D
F2B

Post by F2B »

Phil_G wrote: 05 Jun 2020, 18:07 ...is that the right video Bruno? he's flying with a propo transmitter !!!
Yes, it is.
Because of the Futaba (3D printed plastic case!) not being ready yet, you're seeing a Taranis with the spring action lever switch configured as to switching one channel from 1000 to 2000 µsec.
This activates the escapement and nothing else.
So propo yes, but not really.... :mrgreen:
Meanwhile the Futaba has made it's debut, but I wasn't there, so no video....
F2B or not to be....
HenkB

Post by HenkB »

The Futaba replica FT 5s has been used in two flights successfully. I've had some problems with a suddenly reversing action of the escapement. I mean; on powering up the transmitter the escapement was activated and the rudder at the extreme right position and when pushing the button the escapement was inactive and the rudder went back to neutral. Happily this happened on the ground so no problem. I suspect it has something to do with the rc power switch (Turnigy) that I used. Went back to the Taranis which has the added benefit of keeping track of the number of button pulses en hence kept track of the need of rewinding the rubber for the escapement. It then worked fine.
I tried to see if I could revoke this strange behaviour of the reversing action of the escapement at home by trying every day since my last flight but it seems to work flawlessly.
I promiss to upload some photos as soon as I get the hang of it. (Not so easy on this forum)

Btw, I was warned that escapements are not the most reliable inventions in rc but I must say that until now I' m happily surprised.

Henk
Phil_G

Re: Compound or Sequential preference?

Post by Phil_G »

'Back in the day' ™ I used to fly both, I cant imagine being able to do that now. For small aerobatic models I used a Conquest sequential, and for the steady floaters a Commander - with an RCP superregen receiver. When Dad eventually bought a Climax Unimite motorized actuator for the OS Pixie it was only available in compound, and eventually I stopped using the Conquest. We used to share a set back then!
In fact if a group of us were going soaring squeezed into one car, to save space sometimes we'd only take one transmitter between all of us - none of us had a superhet receiver, and in fact one of the lads didnt even own a transmitter, he would always borrow one!
Sequential is ideal for S/C aeros as every 'hold' needs a correction the opposite way. Dave Hughes in his "Weekender" article pleaded with his readers only to use sequential!
weekender_sequential.jpg

We used to joke that compound was "one for right, two for left" whereas sequential was " one for right(as in correct), two for wrong" meaning if you pressed and the model went the right way, ok, "one for right" but if it went the wrong way, you pressed again - "two for wrong" :lol:

Here's Pete Gascoine's sequential rudder-only Sharface getting a thorough wringing-out:

HenkB

Post by HenkB »

That's some flying. I'm impressed!
F2B

Post by F2B »

Impressive!
Brings back memories of 50 years ago, when slamming my Topsy through barrels, loops and cuban eights, albeit on my homemade SC propo. The Wen Mac proved a bit more powerful than a standard babe Bee... :o

Hereby spawning another dilemma..... :roll:
A Sharkface has been added to my to do list... :lol:
F2B or not to be....