A modular concept for a GG actuator

Waggly tails
Tobe

A modular concept for a GG actuator

Post by Tobe »

For all of you that enjoy Galloping Ghost.
Here is a different concept for a GG actuator or maybe more of a natural evolution as due to this lock down we are going through I had time to think and realized that I have too many options concerning my actuators and too many parts to keep track of...
From all this the following have come up, the same base will offer 3 options of actuator and all simple enough for those of you that would like to give it a try with your own 3D-printer. The only concern is to print in ABS as it gives a decent glue joint between steel dowel pins and the plastic. Dowel pins are obtained from 1,5 mm piano wire and the motor set up is the same as in the DIY.
Background is that I have evolved my "Mini" GG actuator to be a "Multi roll" actuator where the same base is used for a R/O actuator, a "Bellamatic" style actuator and a regular 2 channel GG Rand-style where all 3 uses the same Re-Coder, preferably one of the 3 DIY options. All relevant files are here below but if somebody is interested in a "Kit" with an option for a preprogrammed ATTiny85 I will be able to supply it and leaving the rest to interested modeller.
The concept is intended for the tinker that would like evolve from the DIY actuator to a more compact unit and experiment as this one is more compact opening for smaller models.
Please note that Elevator plate has been updated and will work better also with a softer spring
Please see the GG-Mini topic viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1122 for additional info.
Attachments
Base G-G Mini.STL
(109.75 KiB) Downloaded 164 times
Tower.STL
(86.51 KiB) Downloaded 150 times
Rudder plate.STL
(44.81 KiB) Downloaded 149 times
Medbringare.STL
(60.82 KiB) Downloaded 154 times
Elevator.STL
(88.36 KiB) Downloaded 148 times
G-G Mini-Modular Concept.PDF
(76.45 KiB) Downloaded 177 times
20201231_093333.jpg
20201231_094540.jpg
20201231_100752.jpg
20201231_101642.jpg
Last edited by Tobe on 03 Jan 2021, 07:33, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers,

Tobe
Wayne_H

Re: A modular concept for a GG actuator

Post by Wayne_H »

Happy New Year Tobe!

So very glad that lockdown hasn't constrained your fertile mind :) . Thanks for sharing this clever evolution/rationalisation of your GG actuators 👏👏

Stay well mate ;)
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

'Done it!...... :P
20210128_151752[1].jpg
And they work!

I've been playing with my new toy (3D Printer) trying different plastics and different temperatures. I have been extremely unsuccessful with ABS but eventually got some acceptable prints with PLA so finally committed to making some Tobe Mini Actuators. In my previous rather limited experiments with Galloping Ghost I didn't like the interaction between rudder and elevator so this time I have elected to go for two basic actuators, one on each channel.
HUGE thanks to Tobe for all the work he has put into this project and for making the files and recoders available. :P

Paul
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

Well done Paul, hat off for you.
I like the blue color, I have the habit to use blue filament for my test units. Interaction in the regular GG actuators is not as bad as it looks like but it calls for its specific approach to be appreciated.
Cheers
Cheers,

Tobe
Bennett_g9@sky.com

Post by Bennett_g9@sky.com »

After my success with the larger actuators, I decided to try the mini versions with my new lock down 3D printer!
All went well printing in PETG, but when trying to assemble the bits, I find that my motor/gearboxes have a 3mm output shaft, and the mating part has printed with a 3.2mm hole. T resultant slop is too much to take up.
Has anyone else had problems with the mating sizes? As a newbie to 3D printing I don't know how to resize the hole.
Any suggestions from 3D whizz kids??
George
George B
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

George, I too have only recently started 3D printing and am still finding my way...... The first two Tobe Minis I printed were in PLA+ and the disc that goes onto the drive shaft was a very tight fit. I have now printed one in PETG and that was sloppy. I fixed it with some medium thickness cyanoacrylate. You have to be careful not to use too much and that it doesn't run down in to the gearbox! I gave it a quick squirt of accelerator to stop that happening and so far it seems to be OK though I haven't used the actuator in a model yet. My plan B was to print another disc in PLA+.

Paul
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

Every printer, filament and slicer software behaves differently not the least in the hole making, the difference in sloppy or to tight is not more, normally than half the size of the used nozzle on the printer.
The easiest way to correct it, if the changes are minor, to change the scale setting in the "slicer" for x & y, if it is to sloppy try for example 99. 5 % and it it's to tight try 100,5 % on x & y by keeping z at 100%.

...as mentioned earlier I wouldn’t recommend either PLA or PETG whatsoever for any moving part due of their mechanical caracteristica!
I will post later today a series of "disc" with an upsized and a downsized hole.
Last edited by Tobe on 07 Feb 2021, 18:22, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,

Tobe
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

...by the way PETG can't be glued as no glue will stick on it, PETG is the same kind of material that makes the soda bottle.
Cheers,

Tobe
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Tobe wrote: 07 Feb 2021, 07:11 ...by the way PETG can't be glued as no glue will stick on it, PETG is the same kind of material that makes the soda bottle.
Oh :( ........ That's a pity because the PETG print came out much better/cleaner than the PLA! I will try changing the scale as you suggest, otherwise I will just make another disc in PLA....

Paul
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

I have included here a set of revised disks. The one
Medbringare TDK ABS.STL
(67.86 KiB) Downloaded 145 times

is the one that works for me and been published earlier, the others are up-
Medbringare 3.4.STL
(67.86 KiB) Downloaded 151 times
Medbringare 3.5.STL
(67.86 KiB) Downloaded 146 times
or down-
Medbringare 3.2.STL
(67.86 KiB) Downloaded 142 times
Medbringare 3.1.STL
(67.86 KiB) Downloaded 148 times
Medbringare Nominal size 3.0.STL
(67.86 KiB) Downloaded 136 times
sized alternatives.
PETG is from my point of view the easiest and probably best material for general printing if gluing is not required.
ABS has its learning curve but when you get on top of it it's the most versatile material mostly similar to molded plastic found in most commercial items and it can be easily glued with a dot of CA and if delaminating just a dot of aceton and some pressure you are back in business however...if you don't get it to stick properly on your building plate it warps.
As the disc has pressure fitting to the shaft it needs some "glue" always as after some time the plastic will loose its elasticity especially PLA. A lot can be said here concerning different materials characteristics and behaviors so I leave it to you and Google.
Last edited by Tobe on 07 Feb 2021, 10:03, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers,

Tobe