GG conversion build log

Waggly tails
jmendoza

GG conversion build log

Post by jmendoza »

This is a converted Controlaire GG transmitter ( version 2) using Phil G's GG encoder with progressive throttle and throw adjustments for rudder and elevator. The RF output meter was converted to read voltage as an expanded scale voltmeter using a 7.2V zener diode. I used a pot to adjust the full scale meter reading so I can use an 8 cell NiCad, 6 cell dry cell pack, or a 3S LiPo.

Items in 1st photo are the Tx, the Arduino from Phil, and the pots for the throw adjustments.
Next is the inside of the Controlaire before gutting it.
3rd photo shows original PC board removed, note grommet and 2.4 GHz antenna installed.
4th is a shot of the encoder wired up to the throw pots
5th is the encoder and Orange Rx DSM2/X module installed and wired to the sticks and switch.
6th is the little ESV board wired to meter
7th shows meter working, yes!
And final shot is after a successful flight of the Ace Wizard equipped with GG-Tobe and Phil G recoder.
GG Tx conversion (1).JPG
GG Tx conversion 2.JPG
GG Tx conversion 3.JPG
GG Tx conversion 4.JPG
GG Tx conversion 5.JPG
GG Tx conversion 6.JPG
GG Tx conversion 7.JPG
GG Tx conversion (8).JPG
GG Tx conversion (9).JPG
jmendoza

Re: GG conversion build log

Post by jmendoza »

A few things about the Controlaire:
To use the 100K elevator pot, it was necessary to strap it with a 47K resistor to make it appear be less than 40K . In addition, the outside pot lugs of the 100K pot have 100 ohm resistors in series with supply positive and negative to isolate the pot from the power supply rails; this was needed so the 47K across the pot would work. You can see the little board with the two trim pots for throw has the 2 x 100 ohm and 47K resistor. The Elevator pot wires to the little board with the 3 resistors and then from there it connects to the Arduino analog input.

I found that there is a bonus feature with this transmitter: It can be use for any 2 or 3 channel plane as the Galloping Ghost feature is part of the actuators re-coder electronics, so in effect, the transmitter is a 3 channel rig with positionable throttle control.
The only caution I have is that it takes a few seconds for the throttle to go from low to high, and back again, so make sure you account for that as you cannot chop the throttle instantly. If the slew rate of the throttle was any faster, it would be very difficult to get fine adjustment of the motor speed and make it hard to control. Drawing and Sketch attached below, thanks Phil-G!
gg_2propo_prog_thr_D0.pdf
(1.2 MiB) Downloaded 174 times
gg_2propo_prog_thr_D0.ino
(4.12 KiB) Downloaded 151 times
Phil_G

Post by Phil_G »

jmendoza wrote: 09 Feb 2021, 20:22The only caution I have is that it takes a few seconds for the throttle to go from low to high, and back again, so make sure you account for that as you cannot chop the throttle instantly. If the slew rate of the throttle was any faster, it would be very difficult to get fine adjustment of the motor speed and make it hard to control.
Hi Jay, I think we settled on a throttle increment of 10, I just checked later versions and they have it set to 10:
#define throttle_increment 10
You could always make it switchable, or even have a hidden internal transit-speed pot on a spare analogue.
A throttle-cut button would spoil the looks though! I love the stripey finish on Controlaires, I never saw one over here until they started appearing in conversions :D
That encoder was just a quicky to test Tobes actuators, I never got around to updating it, must do that one day ;)
If you send me a wish list (thr cut, variable thr transit, inact timer, flight timer, whatever) I'll have a look at it.
Maybe ;)
Cheers
Phil
jmendoza

Post by jmendoza »

Hi Phil,
I would not mind an updated GG encoder program, as the encoder I'm using is one you built for me and it does not have the USBASP connector like the Pro Minis, so I cannot update it without having to make an adapter. Due to that, it would be easier for me to load an update into a Pro-Mini-Strong and swap it out for the old one.

I have no idea if it is possible, but it would be nice to have a button going to a digital input that would kill the throttle instantly in the event of a situation where you need to chop the throttle instantly to avoid a stalled motor from frying the ESC.

I also wanted to ask if can I use the current version of the GG encoder sketch with a Rand actuator with throttle?
Tobe sent me a recoder for Rands that plugs into the throttle channel, and I'm assuming it works with the GG sketch.

Thanks Phil!
Jay