Junior Falcon using Tobe Minis.........

Waggly tails
PaulJ

Junior Falcon using Tobe Minis.........

Post by PaulJ »

I've just finished my new Junior Falcon Galloping Ghost project, which was also a "learning project" in 3D printing. It was prompted by the coincidental timing of my aquiring a 3D printer and Tobe publishing the files for his Mini GG actuator. Here I want to thank Tobe for all the help he has given both in supplying parts and amplifier/recoders and helping me with advice on how to print them myself. Tobe prints his actuators in ABS but I didn't have much success with ABS and mine are printed in PLA+ (Blue), PETG (Black) and only the white disc is in ABS though this part is the most highly stressed part so hopefully the actuators will be OK in service........
JF4.jpg
JF6.jpg

And this is the video which prooves it works!

Paul
Mike_K

Re: Junior Falcon using Tobe Minis.........

Post by Mike_K »

Well done Paul, that looks super.

Even if you haven't used the best plastic when 3D printing, if the parts wear out after a few sessions, just print some replacements. I could sit and listen to a GG actuator waggling away all day, who needs to fly them?! But I'm certain it will fly well, it's hard to believe that with all that waggling about, you see little or none in flight. And with separate rudder/elevator actuators you will probably have a little more authority than a Rand LR3.

Cheers

Mike
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Ab fab Paul 👏👏, well done mate ;)

Be prepared for all sorts of funny (bizarre) commentary from the un-initiated when you fly at your local club. When living in Canberra I was a member of the Belconnen Club - I had just ROG'd my Dick's Dream when a guy ran out from the pits shouting that I had control flutter and was going to crash - I didn't :lol:

But, I couldn't have scripted a better promotion for GG, Mode Z & Tobe's actuators. Carrying the aeroplane back to the pits, I was surrounded by curious & incredulous club members.

Enjoy!!
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
PaulJ

Re: Junior Falcon using Tobe Minis......... It Flies!

Post by PaulJ »

This evening the wind dropped enough to test fly the Jr. Falcon and I'm pleased to report that it flies just as it should and really looks the part, wagging it's tail as it goes! The Transmitter came from Shaun, and I converted it using Phil's 2+ Progressive Fast/Slow button encoder. So with Tobe's GG servos it was something of a "family affair"!........ Thanks Guys! :P
JF8.jpg
The transmitter conversion wasn't entirely straightforward because the Fast/Slow buttons, On/Off switch and antenna mount were all integral parts of the original board so I elected to keep that board in place and isolate the buttons and switch by cutting away the PC lands. I then piggy-backed another board onto it for the Orange module, new encoder and battery, taking wires from the original buttons and switch up through the new board.....
Controlaire2.jpg
'Should attract a few comments at Old Warden...... ;)

Paul
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Tx conversion looks neat Paul. I like the stick they used in this set as it has a quality feel.

Shaun
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Thanks Shaun, yes they used very strong centreing springs....... There's no doubt about where neutral is! ;)
HenkB

Post by HenkB »

That's truly a pretty couple. Congratulations!
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

Very well done Paul, you are a good ambassador for all of us.
Hat off,

Cheers

Tobe
Cheers,

Tobe