The "Galloping Ghost" Handbook

Waggly tails
AlexC

The "Galloping Ghost" Handbook

Post by AlexC »

I found this in my attic whilst looking for some old plans.

The introduction states. "A comprehensive survey of pulse-proportional radio control systems as contributed by leading experts on the subject"
It's about 6-7 pages in total.

20210909_211719.jpg
iflylilplanes

Re: The "Galloping Ghost" Handbook

Post by iflylilplanes »

Can you scan it? others and I would love to read it. Will that violate any copyright rules?
Cheers,

Dave
bluejets

Post by bluejets »

Amazing really what people would come up with.
Terrific imagination to begin with.
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

To save you scanning the booklet, there is already a copy on rclibrary

https://rclibrary.co.uk/download_title.asp?ID=1053

Mike
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Bluejets,

The elevator is connected the wrong way around in the video. Slow pulse up, fast pulse down.

Shaun
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

There were a school in flying with elevator on the fast pulse but caused issues and the main 2 are:
In turns there is s down elevator interaction instead of the regular up elevator
As voltage drops it will need down elevator
This setting was used mainly by the chaps that flew "aerobatics" but I would not recommend it as if, I would recommend to use a dual pack set up.

If you are interested in GG look around on the forum as there is a ton of information not only around replicas but also original set up

[viewtopic.php?f=25&t=65&hilit=Galloping+ghost]
Cheers,

Tobe
bluejets

Post by bluejets »

Shaun wrote: 10 Sep 2021, 16:45 Bluejets,

The elevator is connected the wrong way around in the video. Slow pulse up, fast pulse down.

Shaun
Don't shoot the messenger, not my video.. :shock:
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

It's not a matter of shooting the messenger I'm sure, however the set up of the elevator property is crucial as you can't rely always on your transmitter.
Depending on your choice of actuator you have to place properly the elevator horn, the Rand GG requires the horn to be on the bottom side if you not reverse the elevator mechanically.
Attachments
rand_lr3_sheet2.pdf
(765.98 KiB) Downloaded 108 times
rand_gg_hints.pdf
(1.36 MiB) Downloaded 112 times
Cheers,

Tobe
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

No shooting Bluejets, just letting any modellers new to gg (and reading this thread) that connecting up the elevator the correct way is important to ensure correct operation, as Tobe has indicated. There are quite a few wrong videos on YouTube besides this one.

Shaun.
Martin

Post by Martin »

I know that slow long pulses for up elevator was the official way to do it, and for that you had to put the elevator horn on the bottom of the elevator. I suppose the early transmitters had no reverse switches, so you had to do it that way if you wanted to pull back on the stick to climb. But assuming that you were prepared to alter the transmitter to reverse the elevator pot, was there any reason why you shouldn't use fast pulses for up?

I thought at first that they'd chosen that way because more rudder authority might be available when pulsing slowly - and as 'up' is used much more often than 'down' - flying normal turns for example - that would make sense. But now I've flown quite a lot of galloping ghost, I doubt that theory: one of my models steers around the sky quite nicely inverted, when I'm holding in a lot of 'down' to fly level, and the actuator is doing short fast pulses.