San Diego to Gothenburg: My visit with Tobe

Waggly tails
OttoDieffenbach

San Diego to Gothenburg: My visit with Tobe

Post by OttoDieffenbach »

When I returned to the hobby in 2011, after a 30-year absence, my Dad and I looked for a Testors Skyhawk Galloping Ghost plane/system, our first RC plane in 1966. We had great fun finding one and restoring it to flight status. This was just the beginning of the adventure.

While on this Testor’s quest I met Jay Mendoza. Jay educated me on all the technical advances including the Phil G conversion options and the Tobe actuator. The Tobe actuator was brilliant and an unexpected find that enabled a modern, reliable replication of the Rand Actuator GG system, a system that my Dad and I flew (100s of flights) in the 1960s.

As time passed, Jay and I became close friends, and I became more aware of Tobe’s other developments. Tobe’s Dad (nicknamed Pelle) saw my Lil’ Esquire/Tobe Actuator YouTube video and built a Lil’ Esquire himself. Tobe and I began sharing our similar RC journeys.

Jay, Tobe and I each lost our Dads (and RC partners) within a short time. Tobe and I continued to communicate, and I shared my past business activities in Stockholm. It was during these exchanges Tobe invited me to visit. I filed his invite away and asked for Tobe’s help building a miniature transmitter for my travel plane, a plane that fits in a box that qualifies as an airline personal travel item.

Tobe sent me the first Mini Pelle 6 and I was over the moon. This was perfect for my travel plane. I asked Tobe if he was serious about his invite,and he confirmed the invitation. I made travel plans, flight tested the travel plane and packed for my trip to Akulla (an hour outside Gothenburg).
Earlier this week, I returned from my six day stay and can only say the visit went much too fast. Tobe is an incredible host, great cook and modeler. The weather was unseasonably good, which allowed us to hike 5 to 7 miles on five of the days. The other days we toured Gothenburg and visited the many historical sites in the area to include one of the first long wave radio sites. We also had two visits to the local model field so my travel plane could earn a Sweden sticker and Tobe could fully test the Mini Pelle 6 in his Squirt.

Like his planes and radios, Tobe does everything from scratch. He designs and orders his own boards with integrated transceivers. He 3D prints his own control sticks. He designs and builds all his planes. On his daily hikes, Tobe picks wild mushrooms and cooks them up for meals (yum) or to give to neighbors. It is a joy to watch him operate. There are no barriers. He even printed new wheel hubs for my travel plane when mine disintegrated (old brittle plastic) in the colder weather.

I am so glad I made the trip and to have Tobe as a friend. Thank you Tobe.
Attachments
IMG_8854.jpg
IMG_8859 (1).jpg
IMG_8861.jpg
IMG_8864.jpg
IMG_8871 (1).jpg
IMG_8895.jpg
IMG_8882.jpg
IMG_8877.jpg
IMG_8876.jpg
IMG_8872.jpg
IMG_8862.jpg
jmendoza

Re: San Diego to Gothenburg: My visit with Tobe

Post by jmendoza »

I wanna go visit just to check out the food, looks yummy!
Tobe is an amazing guy, but then, so is Otto. It warms my heart to see people like this connect and form great friendships, even though we are an ocean apart! Looks to me like you guys had too much fun, if there is such a thing.
Jay
tedbmoss

Re: San Diego to Gothenburg: My visit with Tobe

Post by tedbmoss »

I appreciate Tobe helping me out also, I built some of his actuators and soon will get my 54+ year old Li'l Esquire and one of Tobe's designs as well to fly.