This is how we did it

Waggly tails
Shaun

This is how we did it

Post by Shaun »

Here's a couple of demo rigs we use when we give our talks and demos... Always a source of amusement to the younger modellers who think it's a bad case of interference. :lol:

Rand and a home made Mighty Midget Actuator plus a rare REP one
Demo rigs showing the full airborne compliment of equipment required
Demo rigs showing the full airborne compliment of equipment required
Home made Flyball Actuator
A home brewed Fly Ball actuator. Surprisingly powerful but wasn't a batteries friend. This was a very early design capable of proportional output
A home brewed Fly Ball actuator. Surprisingly powerful but wasn't a batteries friend. This was a very early design capable of proportional output
The tail end wire work, known as the birdcage for the Mighty Midget set up
Known as the Bird Cage, this wire bending was necessary  to translate the motion of the Mighty Midget motor to rudded and elevator movements
Known as the Bird Cage, this wire bending was necessary to translate the motion of the Mighty Midget motor to rudded and elevator movements
Cheers,

Shaun
Shaun

Re: This is how we did it

Post by Shaun »

A few more home made actuators based on the Mighty Midget.
Home brewed actuators came in a variety of designs. Some worked very well the others  hmmm
Home brewed actuators came in a variety of designs. Some worked very well the others hmmm
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

And a hybrid valve / transistor pulse carrier wave transmitter I built a few years ago (designed for using with the Flyball actuator)
Hybrid valve and transistor Pulse Tx based on the early Aeromodeller Carrier Wave set. Shown with a Flyball actuator and the Aeromodeller Rx
Hybrid valve and transistor Pulse Tx based on the early Aeromodeller Carrier Wave set. Shown with a Flyball actuator and the Aeromodeller Rx
The battery compliment was a 90V pack for the valve circuitry, a 1.5v for the Valve heater and a 9 v for the transistor multivibrator circuit
The battery compliment was a 90V pack for the valve circuitry, a 1.5v for the Valve heater and a 9 v for the transistor multivibrator circuit
And the home built Aeromodeller Rx. It all works a treat.
Aeromodeller Carrier Wave valve receiver
Aeromodeller Carrier Wave valve receiver
Last edited by Shaun on 17 Feb 2018, 18:53, edited 1 time in total.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

This is an add on Galloping Ghost pulser you could buy if you weren't electronically minded. easily interfaced as it used a relay connected across the button on your single channel Tx. So no compatibility issues..
If you couldn't design your own then this add on pulser kit was available
If you couldn't design your own then this add on pulser kit was available
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

My favourite Ghost transmitter from MacGregor. This one is brand new unused I picked up before the prices went crazy.
1 - Heading Shot - My all time favorite Galloping Ghost set was manufactured by MacGregor.JPG
And my original Rand.. now relegated to the test rig above
18 - The classic Rand  actuator. This was the guaranteed way to achieve success.JPG
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

But the Ghost Actuator (the black one) was also a very reliable actuator. The Red and Gold REP actuator didn't seem to be around for a long time and was made from a modified reed actuator.It didn't have anywhere near the power of the Ghost or Rand.
19 - Three commercially produced actuators. From left to right the Controlaire, Climax and Rand.JPG
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

My Boddo Swift was the first GG model to fly using 2.4g in the UK as far as we know. It was before Tobe started making his excellent new age Rand's so used an original Rand actuator and Phils prototype re-coder.
23 - My Swift was probably the first model in the UK to fly on 2.4g galloping ghost. Happy Days..JPG
22 - Vintage Rand installation. The yellow blob on the fuselage side is the Re-coder that makes all the magic happen..JPG
Sparky1phillip

Post by Sparky1phillip »

This is absolutely brill Shaun. When I was a tv and radio apprentice back in Abingdon Berks my apprentice teacher Denis Ellis was into building regen rxs one of his friends was Peter Lovegrove synonyms with gg and wrote in aero modeller - lay that ghost was one article. And he bought a prototype one in to demo it to us i think he was one of the designers of it. of course I wanted one then but a £12.50 I think it was and that was three times my weekly wages so no chance back to building my Tinytone. It flew away in a mini robot with ed bee in it. Never knew if if failed in range or if the rubber band escapement ran out of turns. I always wondered Too if Peter Lovegrove was any relation of Sam Lovegrove of shed and buried fame on the telly. The cap seems to fit. I may even get the chance to ask him one day. Sparky1phillip (wiggles)