Min-X Pulsmite

Waggly tails
Mike_K

Min-X Pulsmite

Post by Mike_K »

I've been reading a lot of old RCM&E and RM on holiday (who needs a book on holiday?) and I read the original article of Dave Hughes Soarcer glider and I was surprised that the prototype was flown using GG at Ivinghoe Beacon. With the Ivinghoe Beacon Nostalgia Day rapidly approaching I thought it would be nice to have a GG Soarcer so I've decided to convert a Min-X Pulsmite to 2.4GHz and use it with a Tobe Rand LR3.

Pulsmite.jpg

I've got two Min-X Pulsmite sets, one's immaculate, the other missing its graphics and not quite so neat and tidy. As the one without the graphics has a badly corroded PCB and can't easily be repaired, I've decided to convert that. The first problem is copying the graphics. A quick Photoshop of a photo of the "good one" has the graphics sorted. I'll use Ron's excellent method and laser print it on clear/transparent vinyl and use a quick spray of polyurethane to stop it getting damaged.

Min-X_Pulsmite.jpg

And there is the little matter of building a Soarcer. I've cheated a bit and bought a set of laser cut wing ribs from Neil at iGull and printed a set of drawings from Outerzone. So it looks like I'll be cutting some balsa this evening :P

Soarcerer.jpg

I'll let you all know how I get on.

Cheers

Mike
Mike_K

Re: Min-X Pulsmite

Post by Mike_K »

Well, there has been a slight change in plan. Phil_G kindly pointed out that I had got my facts slightly wrong on the Soarcerer being test flown on GG, it was actually tested with a Staveley analogue set. Bugger!

I'd got it mixed up with the Veron Impala review where it was test flown with a MacGregor GG set. The good news is I already have an Impala, so last night was spent taking out the modern servo's and putting in bearers for the Tobe Rand. I've got to re-hinge the surfaces as they're still a bit stiff and then make up some balsa push-rods.

The Min-X Pulsmite transmitter is nearly finished, I just had to be patient for the polyurethane lacquer on the label to dry overnight before fitting it. Thanks again Ron for sharing your label method, I'm really pleased with the result. I've fitted the label slightly right of original so I don't touch it when holding the transmitter how I would normally hold it when flying, the labels are not as durable as the originals.

For the moment I'm using a modified version of my Arduino Nano encoder, I still need to sort out the progressive throttle, but as I don't need a throttle for the Impala, that can wait for another day.
label still on its backing
label still on its backing
label fitted, but still to be smoothed down
label fitted, but still to be smoothed down
finished!
finished!
ozrs

Post by ozrs »

I found this pic of a MIN X - similar but slightly different:
Min-X Pulsemite GG.JPG
Richard
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Looking good Mike. Sounds like a plan with the Impala.

Shaun.
RON
Site Admin

Post by RON »

Hi Mike,

glad the decal system worked out, Looks really good

Ron
G0MBV Class A Radio Amateur, North Yorkshire