Raven Electronics UK

My favourite
Ken Binks

Raven Electronics UK

Post by Ken Binks »

Was Raven electronics by Ed Johnson ‘badged’ Orbit from USA?
Pchristy

Re: Raven Electronics UK

Post by Pchristy »

I don't think Ed Johnson manufactured them, though he probably sold them. I think they were made in the Manchester area.

One of my flying buddies had one when we first met here in Devon. We were 16 then (both 70 now!), but I'm sure he mentioned knowing who made them. I'll enquire and get back to you!

Most reed outfits - and even early proportionals were close copies of American designs! I was asked to look at a Spanish reed set a few years back that could have been an F&M - except for the badges! And the very first Skyleader - a 3+1 digital system - bore a striking resemblance to the F&M 3+1 set, even down to the colour of the case!

I'll see what I can find out about the Raven. I know it was a lot more reliable than the Skyleader he got to replace it! (That Skyleader was one of the very first 4-channel sets, copper coloured anodised case, Bonner sticks and Kraft servos - they weren't in production for long!)

UPDATE: I've spoken to Geoff, and he confirms that Raven were made in the Manchester / Ashton area. He actually went to the manufacturers place to get his. However he can't remember the name for the moment. I know a chap called Ron Donahue (not sure of the spelling!) was pretty active up in that area and might have had some connection. I think Ron Donahue might have been the "Ron" in "Waltron", but I can't be sure of that either!

Geoff does confirm that Ed Johnson did not manufacture the Raven set, though!

--
Pete
Ken Binks

Post by Ken Binks »

Hi Peter, thanks for info. Like you I was in my teens and just drawled over some of the radio. The Raven from memory was very well made. The Bronze Skyleader system was promoted at a SMAE Nationals by Stewart Uwins and Chris Olsen was testing same down here in Sussex. As young lad Chris helped me a lot.
Back to the Raven reeds the numbers made was probably very low and hence very rare would love to see one though. May be Ali Machiney Snr had one?
Pchristy

Post by Pchristy »

Yes, Geoff's Raven was extremely reliable. He tells me that he originally had a 6-channel set, which apparently was a fetching green colour! He traded it for a black ten-channel set shortly before his family moved down here to Devon, which is where I first met him. He's going to try a dig up some pictures.

He had it in a "Tauran", a low winger with rectangular wings that bore no relation whatsoever to a "Taurus"! It flew very well! I was still flying Grundig reeds at the time, but about a year later was negotiating with our local expert to buy his Bonner Digimite-8. The Digimite had proved to be very reliable, but unbeknownst to me, Geoff was negotiating for the original 4-channel Skyleader!. We both turned up at the site a few weeks later with our new toys (he fitted his in his "Tauran", I had a big shoulder wing job, based on the American "Astro-Cat").

Geoff's dad launched his model off on its maiden flight with the new gear, and almost as soon as it left his hands, it rolled inverted and did a smooth inverted climb out! "Flash g*t!", I thought, but then seconds later he shouted "I haven't got it"!, and it dived in vertically! I think he trashed two or three more models before giving up on it.

A couple of years later, I went through a similar spate with a Simprop Digi-5! Absolute disaster of a radio! Throughout all this, the old Digimite kept working perfectly, and still does today!

Geoff says he often regrets selling that Raven. It was really well made and very reliable. He's still trying to remember the name of the guy who made them. He mentioned the name Don Slater as a possibility, but it doesn't ring any bells with me. I would have thought Shaun or Phil might know, being northeners. Mind you, they probably regard Lancashire as hostile territory! :lol:

Lucky you, knowing Chris Olsen! He was always something of a hero of mine back in the day. I saw him a few times at the Nats, but was never lucky enough to meet him.

Cheers,

--
Pete
Ken Binks

Post by Ken Binks »

Hi Pete
All great nostalgia. I remember seeing CO’s home made ten channel superhet receiver with HOMEMADE Reed bank and ten relays on a second layer. It was a brick but to a highly keen 13year old to hear the reeds sing and the relays clack was magic behind belief.
I purchased a RCS super regen receiver on HP with Dad as guardian cost £12-19-6d to go with home built Remcon Tx
Radio control is so boring now when it always works😜
Earlier with single channel I AVOIDED A BUSH on a landing approach using bang bang !!!!! That memory is etched in my memory like the ferric chloride crystals used to etch PC boards circuits all from RCM&E passed on from an adult club member.
Take care
Ken
Wavemeter

Post by Wavemeter »

Check out my post I now own a six channel Reed Raven
The manual mentions anodised green but mine is black
It works perfectly both transmitter and receiver
Reconstituted boy
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Pchristy wrote: 23 Nov 2020, 14:51

UPDATE: I've spoken to Geoff, and he confirms that Raven were made in the Manchester / Ashton area. He actually went to the manufacturers place to get his. However he can't remember the name for the moment. I know a chap called Ron Donahue (not sure of the spelling!) was pretty active up in that area and might have had some connection. I think Ron Donahue might have been the "Ron" in "Waltron", but I can't be sure of that either!
Pete
Pete..
Just seen this thread. Ron Donahue was the Ron from Waltron. His business partner was Walter.

I met them many years ago and they gave me one of their very early prototype sets that eventually (after lots of development) became the Waltron propo sets .

Shaun.