Ariel 6-Channel Reed Set

My favourite
Mike_K

Ariel 6-Channel Reed Set

Post by Mike_K »

Another recent addition to my collection is an Ariel 6-channel reed set, that is very clean and looks unused or only flown with gliders.

I must admit that I'd not heard of Ariel before I bought it, but I mentioned it to Phil, who also has an Ariel reed set, albeit a different model, so its not unique. Opening it up, I've never seen open-skeleton pots' like the ones used for the tone adjustment, they nearly look home-made. Has anybody else seen pots' like that before? But having said that, it's very well constructed and even has plug-in crystals with one of those huge old-fashioned crystals. It's relatively light with its plastic case and it balances nicely in the hand with a battery fitted and the aerial extended, so I can imagine more comfortable to fly with than say an RCS Inter 6. But it's dead at the moment, so another to put on the repair list - this one is for the display-shelf and not converting, sorry Phil.

Cheers Mike
ariel_01.jpg
ariel_02.jpg
ariel_03.jpg
stuart mackay

Re: Ariel 6-Channel Reed Set

Post by stuart mackay »

Mike, we need a "Like" button a la Facebook?!?
Phil_G

Post by Phil_G »

Wow Mike I'm so jealous :D
This was the set I saved and saved for as a young teenager, I had a paper round and a milk round,
I'd never seen one in the flesh, only in the magazine, but it was exactly what I needed as our club was
slope-soarers only. It was the 'most affordable' commercially made reed set back then, with a super-regen
receiver and two Climax Servomites. On Dads workbench I had the magazine open on the Ariel 6 advert for months.
I cant remember the reason it never happened but I've been looking for one ever since!

Excellent find Mike. How do you & Stu get to know about these things?

Cheers
Phil
PS the tone sliders are the same ones used by Remcon, as are the toggles.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

And the sliders are terrible. I've had more than a few fall to bits in Remcon sets when tuning up in the past.

Ariel made the single channel cylindrical fishing rod style tx that Frank replicated a few years ago.. Have you one of those in the collection Mike..
DSCF3209.JPG
IMG_20151223_010413499.jpg
tiptipflyer

Post by tiptipflyer »

That´s all great stuff, I never have seen before.
Now I cannot get rid of the idea to make a replica of the Ariel 6. It would look great together with the Fishing Rod.
Mike, could you tell me the measurements of the Ariel 6 ?
Well, another project in my mind together with loads of other projects, so much to do and so little time.
Thanks in advance

Frank
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

Hi Frank

I'm sorry, you'll have to ask Phil for the dimensions. When I heard it was Phil's dream set, I packed it back up in the box it had arrived in and is now waiting for the courier to collect it - I don't really want to have to unpack it again, I might change my mind and decide to keep it!

Cheers Mike
tiptipflyer

Post by tiptipflyer »

Thanks Mike,
no problem, I am sure, Phil will give me the dimensions when he got it. No rush.
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Ooh Phil, you are a lucky fella :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
What sloper will it be going into once you get it operational?
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
Phil_G

Post by Phil_G »

Mike_K wrote: 23 Jan 2021, 07:05When I heard it was Phil's dream set, I packed it back up in the box it had arrived in and is now waiting for the courier to collect it...
I just got off the phone talking to Mike for over an hour :D , I'm overwhelmed by his generosity, this is something I've been looking for since we started with the retro thing - Ariel was only a small 'bloke in a shed' business and I suspect production numbers were quite low. Wow, thank you ! I persuaded Mike to take my Ariel-8 as a contribution, so at least he has an Ariel presence in his Reeds collection. I dont think Ariel ever did a propo set, just the 'Contact' S/C and the Reeds, but who knows - maybe they did and one will turn up one day :D
Happy Chappy :D
Wayne_H wrote: 23 Jan 2021, 11:32 Ooh Phil, you are a lucky fella :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
What sloper will it be going into once you get it operational?
At the time it would have gone into an Impala, this was the pre-kipper era - maybe the Suzy Que as Ken flew his original on reeds...

phil_impala_reeds_ailerons_1968.jpg

Cheers
Phil
Stew

Post by Stew »

Always overwhelmed by the generosity and friendliness of the members here. Amazing. It brightens your day. 🙂