Russian Reed Sets

My favourite
Mike_K

Russian Reed Sets

Post by Mike_K »

Now for something completely different, a pair of Russian reed sets. Well, tone sets to be completely accurate. Shaun put me onto them on eBay, they looked interesting so I made an offer for the pair which was accepted and a few days later they have arrived from Bulgaria. Has anybody else seen anything like these before?

Russian_Reeds.jpg
Russian_Servo.jpg

They're both heavily based on the Graupner Grundig Variophon/Varioton sets. The transmitters are very similar in some respects, even though the cases look very different, the joysticks are basically the same and the circuits look to be the same as well (I got manuals with diagrams). And the receiver and tone modules are complete rip-offs of the Varitons, they look identical and will actually mate with the real Variotons. And the servos are replicas of the Bellamatics and Servo-auto-matic.

Having said all of that I'm actually quite surprised by the quality of the cases and joysticks, the case is very solid and the joysticks feel the equal of the Graupner Variophon sets. Both sets were made in 1972, by which time the West had moved away from reeds/tone sets and moved to using proportional for multi.

Rather than convert them (sorry Phil), I'm going to test them and if they don't work try to get them working again.

Cheers

Mike
Wayne_H

Re: Russian Reed Sets

Post by Wayne_H »

Mike_K wrote: 09 May 2019, 18:42 Now for something completely different, a pair of Russian reed sets. Well, tone sets to be completely accurate. Shaun put me onto them on eBay, they looked interesting so I made an offer for the pair which was accepted and a few days later they have arrived from Bulgaria. Has anybody else seen anything like these before?

Rather than convert them (sorry Phil), I'm going to test them and if they don't work try to get them working again.

Cheers

Mike
Great find, gotta love the Bay :lol:

The gold set looks like one of Frank's excellent reproductions posted not so long ago. The "chunky" appearance gives me the impression that you'll need arms like Popeye to hold them, particularly on long flights :shock: :P

Hope you are able to get them working again.
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
ozrs

Post by ozrs »

Mike: "Has anybody else seen anything like these before?"

I have seen a few of the one on the left - they seem to pop up on ebay fairly regularly - there is one available at present:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-R-C-Remot ... Swyypcv1qT
Capture.JPG
Richard
tiptipflyer

Post by tiptipflyer »

You can see this radio now and than for sale here, but quite expensive. Therefore I made a reproduction.
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=105&start=14
Should I get an origional for a reasonable price, I would convert one.
Cheers
Frank
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

Thanks to all for posting links to another set and for Franks reproduction of the 4 channel set.

It's tempting to buy the one on eBay.com as it's boxed and then convert the one I already have, but the shipping cost from Ukraine makes it very expensive to get it to the UK, so I think Franks reproduction is a better idea.

Mike
Taurus Flyer

Post by Taurus Flyer »

Mike hello,

Helped by dodgy (RCGroups) I am able to show a photograph in this thread.
After repairing a Metz single channel radio set for rcyard (RCGroups) he offered me a Pilot two channel tone filter radio I still have. After I received the set I did some study to the internals. If needed I can show some more infromation.
The receiver is also there but not on the photograph I see.

Cees

Pilot Rusland.jpg
Taurus Flyer

Post by Taurus Flyer »

Here a study of the circuit board of the Pilot two channel transmitter.
Next step can be making the circuit diagram if needed, but, the transmitter is well functiononing after tuning and can be used for an model airplane or boat.

Cees
Attachments
print lay-out2.jpg