Nucleonic Instruments

Single to Multi propo
PaulJ

Nucleonic Instruments

Post by PaulJ »

Look what came today!

20210115_135116.jpg
20210115_135143.jpg

From the unconventional layout I think it must be pretty early..... The case is folded steel, fast/slow buttons instead of a throttle stick, seperate trim pots (sophisicated or what?!)

The stick unit feels quite nice though I'm not sure how the rotary trims will work out in practice. Phil, will any of your encoders lend themselves to using the Fast/Slow buttons for throttle?

I have never seen one of these before, does anubody know anything about "Nucleonic Instruments"? Where, when and how long were they in business, did they make any other oufits?

Paul
PaulJ

Re: Nucleonic Instruments

Post by PaulJ »

Phil_G wrote: 16 Jan 2021, 00:17 Hi Paul, it looks like a Galloping Ghost set, yes theres a version of the encoder with a progressive throttle suitable for the buttons (effectively its a 2ch rudder/elevator propo set with a progressive throttle like reeds)
It would be ideal for one of Tobes GG actuators, but works with servos too. Lovely set and in nice condition, but dont you just hate Dymo? :D
Its a neat little RF module. I'd give it a try, it might still work!
Cheers
Phil
Thanks Phil, yes I wondered if it might be a G-G set but anyway was intending to use it for that purpose...... Tobe has very kindly sent me loads of parts which I am currently playing with. So please could I order one of the encoders you mention but not just yet because there will be others too...... At least one single channel and possibly a couple more but I am not sure yet what I am going to do with some of the trannies I have lined up. :?

Yes I do hate Dymo and sadly some of the tape on this Tranny is covering holes in the case. 'Not sure what I am going to do about those yet.......

Paul
Pchristy

Post by Pchristy »

That looks like a very early prototype! The production ones used a different stick assembly and Climax servos, IIRC.

It was similar in principle to the original FlightLink (which also used buttons for the throttle). It was basically a souped up Galloping Ghost system that used a somewhat higher "frame rate" and feedback servos for the two main channels. Just like Galloping Ghost, the two main channels centered whilst the throttle operated. Unlike the FlightLink, it was fully transistorised.

Somewhere I have the magazine that had a feature about it. I'll see if I can find it later, and scan it in.

I've never seen one in the flesh, although they were advertised in the magazines for a while.

--
Pete
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Many thanks Pete, yes any other info would be great...... If it is that "quirky" it seems a shame to discard the original electronics so perhaps I should leave all the existing stuff in there "for posterity" and accommodate the new encoder and Tx module in that voluminous battery compartment..... :?

Paul.
Pchristy

Post by Pchristy »

OK, here you go: Here's an original advert, showing the production version - with a rather unique stick assembly! That is why I think yours is a prototype!

I've attached the magazine article as a pdf.

And totally off topic, but on the back of the same issue was an advert fro the RCS Tetraplex!

Enjoy!

--
Pete
Attachments
Nucleonics.pdf
(4.39 MiB) Downloaded 106 times
Pchristy

Post by Pchristy »

On reading that article again (for the first time in decades!), it appears that they managed to overcome the "FlightLink" problem of the throttle causing the flying surfaces to centre.

Although still basically Galloping Ghost in principle, they used a "reed" type variable tone for the progressive throttle.

That Tx doesn't look very ergonomic, though! I'm sure a "cuddle box" would have been much easier to hold and operate!

:?

--
Pete
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Many thanks for this Pete. Yes, you may be right in this being an early prototype. The stick unit is quite different to the one shown in the advertisement and the Elevator trim pot has been repositioned to where it is in my photo, the old holes being covered with Dymo tape! Having now looked at it in more detail, I think what has happened is that, prototype or not, the stick unit has been replaced. Both the stick and trim pots are physically very large and the replacement Elevator stick pot did not leave enough room for the trim pot in the original position which is why it had to be repositioned, leaving the old holes which were then covered with the Dymo tape (Frensham phone number!)

Ergonomically it is not great but hopefully it is still quite flyable with a relatively stable model! I think it will make an ideal G-G Tranny using Phil's encoder and a Tobe actuator in the model........ It's looking like another lockdown project! :P

Paul
Pchristy

Post by Pchristy »

I wonder if that "ping-pong" ball at the base of the original stick unit proved problematic! Sitting on the front of the case, instead of being recessed, and being quite large, it must have attracted a fair amount of grit and grime!

It looks as if it was mounted by four screws, so would have been relatively easy to replace.

Does anyone know what became of Peter Thornton? From that magazine article, he appears to have been the brains behind Nucleonic. The system was only advertised for a relatively brief period (less than a year, IIRC) before disappearing. I wonder what happened?

Have you tried firing up the Tx to see if it still works? According to the ads it ran on 12V. Could be interesting to listen to!

--
Pete
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Pete, the stick unit on my tranny also has a "1/2 ping-pong ball" and it needs to be in the right place or it can restrict the available movement. The mechanics of the stick are metal and well made and it has good good "feel" though obviously I don't know about accuracy/centring yet because I have no way to test it. No, I haven't fired it up yet. The antenna was supplied but not installed and the feeder wire to it had been cut. I will attempt to fire it up in the next day or three........

Paul
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

PaulJ wrote: 19 Jan 2021, 22:35 .... I will attempt to fire it up in the next day or three........

Paul
Better triple check your wiring Paul - don't want a mushroom cloud over Ipswich, it being nucleonic & all... (groan)

Sorry, just can't help myself sometimes :D :o :roll:
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)