MacGregor Digimac lll & lV

Single to Multi propo
Jim

MacGregor Digimac lll & lV

Post by Jim »

Hello

For this winters project I intend to convert two MacGregor Digimacs a III & IV to 2.4gHz using one of the emulator modules. I picked the sets up a couple of years ago at a garden railway bring and buy stand! It was my lucky day. One of the sets is for myself and the other one is for my son who wants to put it in a retro aerobatic model.

I have a little experience of emulation encoders and hack modules as few years ago built a single channel set using one of Phils boards and it worked perfectly and still does, thanks Phil :D

Now my ambition is to convert the two Mac G sets. Iv'e been recommended by Paul J of this parish (thanks Paul) to use a 7 channel encoder that also uses a button, Paul pointed me to the documentation on the Single Channel website archive. This board looks perfect but is it available, if it is where can a get them?

Hack modules look a bit more difficult to get now although I could borrow on from my single channel set. Any recommendations on where to get them from now at a reasonable cost?

There should be some photos here when I can work out how to post them!

Cheers.
Jim

Re: MacGregor Digimac lll & lV

Post by Jim »

Digimac III
IMG_20211012_140440.jpg
Attachments
IMG_20211012_140504.jpg
Jim

Post by Jim »

Digimac IV
IMG_20211012_140555~2.jpg
Attachments
IMG_20211012_140614.jpg
Jim

Post by Jim »

IMG_20211012_140709.jpg
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Hi Jim,
The Lemon DSM2/DSMX compatible hack modules are imported by Stuart who posts on this forum and are a good unit, sensibly priced. He sells them on eBay.

Encoders are available from Phil G and Mike Kitchen. Phil's is ideal for a simpler conversion and has all the main features we generally use, Mike's has more features but is more complex. Both work extremely well.

Rgds,

Shaun
Jim

Post by Jim »

Hi Shaun

Thank you for your response.

I will contact Phil about encoders, I like the idea that they are are simpler conversion.

I do have an Orange DSM2 hack module that I intend to borrow from my single channel set that uses one of Phil's encoder modules. When I'm happy everything is working I will get a Lemon hack module from Stuart.

Take care

Jim
Jim

Post by Jim »

Hi Guys

Time to move this project on, I've now got the encoders (thanks Phil) and I'm first going to work on the Digimac IV. The only thing I've done so far is convert from mode 1 to mode 2, it couldn't be easier moving a plastic clip from the right stick over to the left stick.

The pots feel a little rough, I sprayed them with Servisol contact cleaner but they still feel slightly rough, it might be mechanical, should the mechanism be lubricated? Should the pots be replaced as a matter of course?

Cheers
Pchristy

Post by Pchristy »

Pots "feeling a bit rough" might be the bearings in the stick units rather than the pots themselves. Many of the cheaper sticks used simple plastic in plastic bearings. Over the years, these accumulate dust, grit, engine oil, etc, which can make them feel rough. Dismantling and and a good clean, followed by a light smear of silicone grease usually gets them silky smooth.

To check the pots, you really need to have the electronics functioning. Take a known *good* servo, plug it into each channel in turn, and move the stick SLOWLY from one extreme to the other. If the servo jitters at any point in its travel, the stick pot needs cleaning or replacing. If the jitter is random each time you move the stick, it usually just wants a good clean. If its always in the same spot, its a sign that the track maybe damaged. In this case, it may respond to a thorough clean, but it might need replacing.

Good luck! ;)

--
Pete
Jim

Post by Jim »

Hi Pete

Thank you for your advice. I will carefully strip down the stick units and clean them as you suggest and I think I have some silicone grease.

Until I get the encoder and hack module connected I won't be able to test the pots but they look easy to replace if necessary, hopefully I can still get the correct units.

Cheers