From Tobe's skunkworkshop

Single to Multi propo
Tobe

From Tobe's skunkworkshop

Post by Tobe »

Hi everyone,
just a quick note with a few personal reflections and an update around my projects and what will be soon available, I'm aware that some prices looks hi and yes they are hi but unfortunately the price for components and parts have been rising close to astronomically and I need to make a penny or two to be able to continue with my projects and share them with you.
It's my believe that the days when we were able to make conversion after conversion are coming to an end and we have to look more objectively to every single possible project would it be building a new plane, convert an old Tx etc. and make the decision is this worth to be done. Develop new product is my trade and I see my "Hobby-Projects" as an ongoing further education and be up to speed with what happens out there technically.
I'm not sure yet in how I'm going to make my items available but eBay is an option and here I have to second Mike_K in the price settings.
As I'm keen on nRF24/Phil_G projects I will make available a set Tx-encoder + 2 Rx for conversions of an old Tranny, as it looks now the Tx-encoder will run € 35 and the Rx € 20 each, Rx will come with pin headers, nRF24 module and a 3d printed case, concerning the Tx it's a matter of what version you like as I have several board layout.
Second I will make available an updated Servo Amplifier for the conversions of most old servos to a modern specification
Last but not least I will continue making available my line of GG-actuators and if there is an interest my ProPo servos

As time goes along I will update this post with the latest news around this.

Cheers and all the best

Tobe
Cheers,

Tobe
Tobe

Re: From Tobe's skunkworkshop

Post by Tobe »

20220625_183148.jpg
Here is the nRF24L01 Rx I'm offering, the Rx will be programmed in accordance with your preference of channels sequence and Unique I.D. following Phil_G's software with the choice of vertical or horizontal pin headers.
The Rx is intended for to run on 4x1,2V NiMh or from a 5V BEC

The Rx shown here is a 4 channels with the included 3D printed case.
Size:
23 mm x 50* mm x 14 mm - horizontal pins
23 mm x 43* mm x 14 mm - vertical pins
Weight 10 gr.
* 10 mm is the extension of the PCB antenna
Attachments
tobe_nrf24_receiver (5).pdf
(2.9 MiB) Downloaded 148 times
Cheers,

Tobe
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Tobe,

The incredible price rises of components is a fact of (post?) COVID life affecting all of us, including the commercial manufacturers. Don't apologise!

Your Rx's are fabulous little units - I wholeheartedly recommend them to anyone contemplating jumping into Phil's FHSS code but not sure where or how to begin. I'm an inveterate fiddler, so I've made 4 or 5 Rx's using the RfNano, as well as using your versions.

Keep up the great work mate, & well done👏👏
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

Here my latest encoder board and basically it follows the earlier ones...
20220630_222508.jpg
There are however some minor differences which are most noticeable if it is turned around....
20220630_222523.jpg
What you see is a 6 channels encoder with the nRF24 module that matches with my 4 or 6 channels Rx
Cheers,

Tobe
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

That's very impressive pal..
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

....and here is the "new" servo amp shown together
with an old board taken from an old Kraft servo.
The board uses an Atmega48PA with a DRV8837 and given life from a sketch by Mike. The board has 2 LEDs one on D13 for programming purposes and one that lights up at 1000uS - 1500uS - 2000uS
The 2 board side by side for comparison
The 2 board side by side for comparison
In the follow photos I will try to show the process to retrofit an old servo, I'm using the original internal wires as the lead to the Rx by just crimping on a new connector.
20220702_122023.jpg
20220702_122234.jpg
Original wires cut to length and tinned
Original wires cut to length and tinned
The new board in place before closing up
The new board in place before closing up
The transplanted servos were Kraft Bantam Midget
The transplanted servos were Kraft Bantam Midget
...and if it is not on YouTube....
Cheers,

Tobe
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Most impressive Tobe, very sweet indeed.

Have you noticed any change (improvement?) in the speed of the older servos when fitted with your new amps? I have Bantams, Bantam Midgets, etc., etc. hence my interest. You realise Tobe that I'm going to have to live at least another 50 years just to use all the great stuff you've been turning out :lol:
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

Theoretically there should be a slight speed increase but if it would be noticeable...I sure second you on 50 more years! i need to go back to be a regular modeler and start being at the flying field more often so my pals would still recognize me!
My problem is, as I get to the field, they start looking at my stuff so flying become secondary trying to be polite and showing and answering all kind of questions.
Cheers,

Tobe
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

Here it's, a single pcb NRF24L01 receiver
Here the all in one Rx is side by side with the old one with a commercial available nRF24L01 board
Here the all in one Rx is side by side with the old one with a commercial available nRF24L01 board
The Rx is a 6 channels based on a ATmega88P.
Size wise it's 31 mm x 21 mm and weighs in at 8 gr.with antenna whisker and pin headers.
Compared with my earlier Rx it has gained 1 mm both in length as width.
Cheers,

Tobe
Phil_G

Post by Phil_G »

Wow.

Just wow! :D