Pro-Line Competition Series Transmitters

Single to Multi propo
stuart mackay

Pro-Line Competition Series Transmitters

Post by stuart mackay »

Managed to acquire a couple of Pro-Line Competition Series transmitter, one of which I have converted to 2.4 using Phil's Encoder and FrSky XHT module.

Thought it would be interesting to compare the differences between the Competition Six and the later Competition Series transmitter that I have.

The Competition Six is I believe an early model and there is evidence that it is a pre 73 model.
The Tx had a long (12.5 inch) top mounted aerial, which I felt to be too vulnerable to catching on things when in use and have now replaced with the standard FrSky 2.4 antenna.
The locking switch and meter are identical to those use on early 70s Kraft sets and the control layout has the two propo channels on the lower front face. There is a trainer button on the top left of the case and this is used as a minute minder on the new installation.
The internals are different with the encoder and RF all mounted on a single PCB, whereas the later tx has a separate RF section mounted next to the retractable aerial on the top face.
The Comp 6 is powered by two separate GE Nicad packs fitted to the lower face, whereas the Competition Series has a battery box for 6 pen cells fitted to lower face in a bespoke moulded box with charging socket fitted to the rear face of the transmitter. The control layout of the comp series has a propo & switched channel as well as a roll button with a trimmer pot fitted to the top left, the trainer button is on the right hand top near where the the RF module is located.

The thickness of the Comp Series is less and the stick bezels are smaller than the Comp 6. The Comp Series is fitted with a Pro-Line meter and a non-locking slide switch.

Due to lack of space within the Tx, I stripped the components from the Comp 6 PCB so I could mount the encoder and RF module hidden out of view.

Have attached pics of both transmitters as well as teh 12 V Field charger that cam with boxed Comp Series.

I did find this:
https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden ... adios.html
but if anyone can shed some more light on the history of Pro-Line, then please feel free to do so

Comp 6 all powered up in the Norfolk afternoon sun
Comp 6 all powered up in the Norfolk afternoon sun
Comp 6 as received
Comp 6 as received
Comp Series as received
Comp Series as received
Pro-Line mains/field trickle & fast charger
Pro-Line mains/field trickle & fast charger
Comp 6 conversion to 2.4 showing encoder and RF module location
Comp 6 conversion to 2.4 showing encoder and RF module location
Comparison of case tops
Comparison of case tops
Comp 6 vs Comp Series
Comp 6 vs Comp Series
Internal layout of Comp 6 on left vs Comp Series
Internal layout of Comp 6 on left vs Comp Series
Comparison of Stick types and control layouts
Comparison of Stick types and control layouts
Pro-Line Competition Series
Pro-Line Competition Series
stuart mackay

Re: Pro-Line Competition Series Transmitters

Post by stuart mackay »

Phil_G wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 18:02 I presume this must be a later one Stu?

Think so Phil, the stick unit bezels look smaller and there is no visible stick unit fixing screws on the face.
Where was the The RF module and do you remember if it was on the main PCB or mounted remotely like the photos I posted?
I dont know if the AMA label might give a clue to its age?
stuart mackay

Post by stuart mackay »

here is a side by side shot of the recently arrived very late model Competition series with the long travel trims (as in Phil's video and a copy that Mike K also has) and the Dunham stick equipped Challenger series.
Both are on 53 Meg and the second photo shows the early and late Competition series and hopefully you will be able to see the variation in control and label placements between them
Challenger & late Comp series.jpg
DSCF2348.JPG
stuart mackay

Post by stuart mackay »

Another one converted using Phil's encoder with FrSky XHT RF modukle.
This 5 channel Tx was a UK supplied (Crescent Products) on 27 Meg and one of the later models of Competition transmitters but with conventional trim levers and not the 270 degree ones seen in Phil's YouTube video.
20201109-_STU6831.jpg
2.4 Ghz
2.4 Ghz
As received on 27MHz
As received on 27MHz
stuart mackay

Post by stuart mackay »

The Pro-Line fascination continues and was lucky to have just acquired a mint, boxed 1976 Competition Series, which with a change of batteries to 2 4.8V AAA Nimh packs to replace the 2/3A Nicads fired up and is working fine on 27.145 MHz.
_STU7880.jpg
The set had its original 1976 catalogue and instructions included, I have scanned all of these if anyone would like a high res copy then do get in touch.
Front Cover (1).jpg
Comp Series 1.jpg
Comp Series 2.jpg
Front cover.jpg
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

In Australia in the 70's, certainly on the east coast anyway, most imported radios were from America (or Japan, being products produced for the North American market). A handful of the local "guns" flew Pro-Line, mainly in aerobatics or pylon racing - it was considered absolute "top shelf" RC gear. After ACE acquired them in the (early-mid??) 80's, ACE offered a schematic set for the entire Pro-Line range, which I acquired and still have, although I'm sure its now readily available online.

Regardless, I am very green with envy - that boxed 76 set looks superb :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
Pchristy

Post by Pchristy »

Wayne_H wrote: 14 Dec 2020, 03:33
After ACE acquired them in the (early-mid??) 80's,
I wasn't aware that Ace had bought ProLine (by that time US made sets had mostly disappeared from the UK market), but that probably explains why my Ace MicroPros appear to have the same stick units!

Very nice they are, too! :)

--
Pete
stuart mackay

Post by stuart mackay »

Proline and bullet
Proline and bullet
RobertC

Post by RobertC »

Nice Picture Stuart.....
jmendoza

Post by jmendoza »

There was quite a bit of variations, and overlap on the Proline Competition 6 and the Competition Series.
To complicate matters, many of the Prolines were built custom to order, so the placement of buttons, switches, and aux levers could, and did vary. Some of the Competition 6 models used the molded dual battery pack found in the later Competition Series. Changes were implemented right in the middle of a production run, often as a labor savings measure.

One must remember that in the R/C industry, the manufacturers had very small shops and not a lot of capital, so they used up everything they had in stock before ordering new inventory. They also substituted many components , for example: If they ran out of a certain part, like an ON/OFF switch guard, it might be omitted from the current production run until more came in. BTW, that switch guard was made by Bonner who molded thousands of them for everyone. There was variations of component styles and manufacturers as well, mainly because R/C companies always tried to get surplus rather than brand new manufactured parts to save money. To this end, they used whatever they could get at the time.

The meters were all made by Electro-mechanical Corporation, Perkasie Pennsylvania. EK, Kraft, F&M, Bonner, Orbit EK, Cannon and many others used them. They would print your companies name on the meter card for an additional fee, making them appear to be OEM.

Jay Mendoza
K5JJM