Micron FM-6D assistance needed!

Single to Multi propo
Stew

Micron FM-6D assistance needed!

Post by Stew »

Hi all.

A month or so ago I got a lovely Micron FM-6D from a very kind forum member. It was built from a kit, tested, and then I understand it spent a few decades sat in a drawer. It had sticky stick pots so I stripped it down and cleaned/lubed these. All fine so far.
On powering it and the receiver up and plugging in 4 servos in the correct places, I find that the LH stick has rudder but no throttle, and the right stick has elevator but no aileron.
All servos centralised on being plugged in.

Can some helpful soul care to point me in the direction if what to check and where?

Cheers!

Stew.
Mike_K

Re: Micron FM-6D assistance needed!

Post by Mike_K »

Hi Stew

I've got all the manuals and drawings for most of the Micron sets, but I haven't got round to scanning them. If you can wait a day or two I'll get the Micron FM-6D info scanned.

As the transmitter and receiver are both basically working, I'd start at the joysticks and work forward from there. A common problem with many early sets is the joystick moulding get brittle with age and break where it goes onto the potentiometer shaft and doesn't move the shaft. This would be consistent with the fault you're seeing. If you could test the joystick pot' resistance varies when the joystick is moved for the faulty channel would be a good start. If they are all OK, then we'll have to check the encoder next.

Cheers Mike
AndyS

Post by AndyS »

This site is useful:

https://www.norcim-rc.club/
Stew

Post by Stew »

Thanks guys, I got to the root of the problem. I thought I had freed off the pots, but once i took the gimbals (carefully..) apart i found when i had the pots on the bench the two in question had just been spinning in the housing in the gimbal. The stick was moving, but not the pot! One pot responded to lube, the other needed the actual pot taking apart. All back together now and working great.
I set the pots up at mid travel with the sticks and trims centred, so that should be close enough?
Anyhow, all servos moving well in response to sticks, smooth and no judders so happy days I think.
Really enjoying tinkering.
I'm certainly learning as I go. I need more vintage transmitters to practice on ;)
Stew

Post by Stew »

Mike, I've got the manuals, build sheets etc, the chap who gave me the tranny sent them with it. Thanks though, very kind of you.
:)

Stew.
Mosfets

Post by Mosfets »

Good to hear you have got it working.

Ade
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

AndyS wrote: 29 Dec 2020, 15:09 This site is useful:

https://www.norcim-rc.club/
Thanks for the link Andy.
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
Stew

Post by Stew »

Loving it Ade. Lots of lovely tinkering getting it all up and working again. It's all good. Learning a lot as I play and read the books and the manuals. It's all slowly starting to make sense.