Staveley Analogue Deluxe 4

Single to Multi propo
Phil_G

Staveley Analogue Deluxe 4

Post by Phil_G »

IMG_20210205_134659.jpg

Here's the Staveley I was very fortunate to receive today from Mike and Stu (thank you again both :D :D :D ), I forgot to take a 'before cleaning' photo but will post a few pics as the project progresses. Inside is a 1969 datestamp which corresponds to me being 14 as I remembered, I thinks its been damp at some stage of its long life (no retirement for you, Staveley!) and there was a bit of corrosion, to be expected in a 52-year-old set ;) , but a generous coat of Castor oil varnish has kept the case quite well protected! I dont feel at all guilty converting this one as the PCB and the elevator pot tags were green/blue with verdigris so ideal for a new encoder, but I was pleasantly surprised to find all four pots were 5k, not what you'd expect in an analogue set :D

IMG_20210205_190605.jpg

The throttle stick felt only loosely connected to its pot, but luckily as it happens I had just enough Kraft bits to swap the broken throttle yoke and the corroded elevator pot, and I now have two good stick units. Externally it has cleaned up quite nicely, the chrome bezels had encrusted castor varnish which eventually gave in to brake cleaner and a determined scrubbing:

IMG_20210205_193319.jpg

Still not sure what module to use, maybe 35 with one of the Jamaras, but then I have Frsky V8 & D8, plus the Lemon prototype - which I feel I ought to use as I've only bench-tested, not flown it - or another NRF... I dunno yet. This is going to be a really nice set but its for flying, not display! :D

More to follow, my turn to put dogs to bed now, read em a story, feed t'osses & lock up...

Cheers
Phil

Edit: the things we used to get away with back then... this is mains straight into the transmitter via a bulgin plug with unsupported live wires...

IMG_20210205_205028.jpg
stuart mackay

Re: Staveley Analogue Deluxe 4

Post by stuart mackay »

Here ya go Phil, as found condition! Or as it might have been earlier today! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Attachments
Phil's Staveley.... as unearthed!
Phil's Staveley.... as unearthed!
stuart mackay

Post by stuart mackay »

This Sunday for the first flights?

Am sure. Mr Kitchen will be along soon with Staveley adverts from 1969 RCM&E?
Phil_G

Post by Phil_G »

Almost good as new! Not at all bad for a 1969 set, fifty-two years old!

IMG_20210208_231541.jpg

No conversion as yet other than cleaning up the case, switch & stick pots, still not sure whether to use the Lemon 2.4g module or to go 35mhz :D
For the full nostalgia effect I need a Dave Hughes "Soarcerer" now... aileron version ;)
I tapped Ron for his but someone :lol: beat me to it :roll:

Later...

Mike kindly sent me one of his boards and I thought it appropriate to use it in the Staveley Deluxe 4.
Its been on the bench soak testing for 72 hours but its now installed & working nicely Image

IMG_20210323_120110.jpg

I didnt use the meter circuitry as its already wired in the Staveley.
Two advantages of this board I particularly like, one is the integration (buzzer & meter), but the main one being continued availability regardless of DIY-More's future plans Image

Couldnt decide what module to use in this conversion - 35mhz? Lemon?
This will be a well-used set so I went with Frsky as the majority of my stuff is Frsky. Really love this set, thanks Mike & Stu :-)
Simple four-function, just as it was in its day...

Cheers
Phil
stuart mackay

Post by stuart mackay »

Great Job, Phil! :D :D :D :D