Anybody heard of a Rowan Transmitter?

Single to Multi propo
Mike_K

Anybody heard of a Rowan Transmitter?

Post by Mike_K »

My latest haul of transmitters included one I'd never heard of previously, a Rowan prop-control. I assume it's German as the On/Off switch is marked "EIN", though I bought it on eBay.com and it was shipping from Canada, so what a German transmitter would be doing over there I've no idea? It's very clean, but missing all the electronics and the back, just like somebody was preparing to convert it but never did. It'll certainly be converted now, as I have a soft-spot for transmitters with early Kraft-Hayes sticks.

Does anybody know anything about Rowan though?

Cheers Mike

Rowan.jpg
tiptipflyer

Re: Anybody heard of a Rowan Transmitter?

Post by tiptipflyer »

Rowan prop control is a radio which was sold in Germany many moons ago. I do not have one, they are very rare.
Electronically they might be equivalent to Futabe or Microprop/Sprengbrook radios of that time, but I am not sure about it.
I will ask an old friend who might have one for further info.
Just learned, that hey were available in kit form also and came on the market in 1972.
Rowan020.jpg
Rowan019.jpg
Frank
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

My second Proportional radio after a Bonner Digmite RS.

It was called also the German "Kraft"
Cheers,

Tobe
F2B

Post by F2B »

Mike_K wrote: 22 Mar 2021, 12:11I have a soft-spot for transmitters with early Kraft-Hayes sticks.
Well then, here you are...
My 1970 home built:
I'd seen yellow Krafts, these brown Rowans and some tomato red coloured ones that I can't remember the brand of, all with the, then, new K/H sticks.
So, being on 27.195, I reckoned, my tx had to be green. :lol:
The sticks came to the Netherlands through the Rowan route.
It's a nice mix up anyway.
The PC board unmistakably was derived from the Sweeney 'Classic'.
The antenna is a Simprop and so are the aux levers.
As I'd just finished mine, I'd seen several of those Rowans too.
F2B or not to be....
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

Thanks for the information Frank, it's nice to know a little about them. And I can't believe you had one Tobe, what a coincidence!

And what a lovely looking transmitter Bruno, I don't think I have seen a green one with K-H sticks before. I think most modern transmitters look a bit dull when compared to transmitters from the 1970s, most modern ones being black/silver. My other favourites are the yellow Skyleader SL, but the best is the purple Royal Classic - you don't see too many purple transmitters.
Royal_Classic.jpg
Pchristy

Post by Pchristy »

I've got a Royal Classic:

ImageDSCF1633 by Peter Christy, on Flickr

Currently used in my Jackdaw. I had intended to use the Grundig reeds in the Jackdaw, but the swing on take off proved a bit much for my thumbs! ;)

--
Pete