Flight Link Control Series 4 Replica (I know ! yet another build)

Single to Multi propo
RobertC

Flight Link Control Series 4 Replica (I know ! yet another build)

Post by RobertC »

Hi All,

Hope everyone's safe and enjoying your Easter break (if you've been working :D ), meanwhile........
back in January was talking with Mike K about a FLC series 4 rebuild , Mike as always came up with a programme to reconstruct the resin case on a 3D printer ....
Time passed and I thought long hard about this build and decided seeing as I cannot purchase any of these sets anywhere (I've given up even looking for a sovereign or Series 4 now), lets give it a go...
I made contact with a 3D printing group in my town, asked if anyone could help me with my quest, a chap offered his services and within 3 days got a fantastic case produced for me, it will need filler/primer to smooth every tiny wrinkle out on the case, but most would use as it is, I'm just a bit fussy..
The next problem was Stick Units, I trawled the web for quite some time , then found a company which sold open gimble stick units with square rubber gaiters, but they come at a premium , that being the price!!, then good old RS components came to rescue, they sold these stick units at half the price the manufacturers were selling to me at, purely because of RS 's buying power, so two were bought and project could begin.....
I shall post a blog on the build progress as I did with the sovereign build back last year /early this ... Enjoy

Rob
IMG_1010.jpg
image0.jpg
image4.jpg
image3.jpg
image5.jpg
stuart mackay

Re: Flight Link Control Series 4 Replica (I know ! yet another build)

Post by stuart mackay »

Fantastic stuff, Robert and glad Mike's case design looks so good in the flesh, so to speak!
Get the feeling that is going to win another "Reader's Choice" Award!?! :shock: :mrgreen: :evil:

I ll send the Flight Link meter to fill one of the gaps in the facia, when the next batch of Lemon Modules get into the country!
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

How much did the case cost to get printed Rob?
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

Hi Rob

It's great to see you've made so much progress, it looks just like the real thing, you don't need an original when you have one of your recreations. I'll add the triangular supports that were suggested to the OpenSCAD file and post it on the forum when I get a chance.

Shaun - I'll have to buy you a case as the 3D files were based on the FL Series 4 you gave me, so we should all be thanking you really!

Mike
RobertC

Post by RobertC »

Just another build update , done my building work and finally got back into the workshop over the weekend :D

I managed to prime and fill the 3D printed case, used Halfords Filler/primer followed by a satin black overlay and finishing off with a satin clear coat, whilst drying I continued on with front panel (Mk 4), three other attempts of making the panel was using a plastic sheet which was not suitable as it warped and bent in heat so scrapped that and used an acrylic sheet the type they use for number plate blanks, still easy to work with , but stronger .

I used the method I used on the sovereign front panel to cut out the holes and slots for switch ,meter, etc.... that being a couple of nice sharp wood chisels..

Mounted Stick units, and other bits, meter by the way is courtesy of Stuart M, and original Flight Link Meter thank you again, so that's about it for time being, I will update as the project progresses., thanks for stopping by....
IMG_1927.jpg
IMG_1929.jpg
IMG_1931.jpg
IMG_1933.jpg
stuart mackay

Post by stuart mackay »

Another amazing "better than the original" continuation progressing very nicely!
Hats off to you, Rob!
RobertC

Post by RobertC »

Right, marriage now out the way back to normality and in the shed :lol: :D

I've caught up with a bit more on the series 4 , mounted the electronics ,trim controls, and battery , couple of push buttons inserted above the battery meter for Bind and timer.
I used the lemon Rx transmit module as supplied by Stuart and with it being so small and compact, I mounted it flat underneath right by the aerial mount you can hardly see it !!
All wired up and checked for operation, results are perfect, so now the just the front panel overlay to make, add decal, and a few other bits then were good for the reveal by the end of the weekend...
IMG_1988.jpg
IMG_1991.jpg
IMG_1994.jpg
RobertC

Post by RobertC »

FINALE !!! (hurrah says most people) :lol: :lol:

Right now then, I made the front panel overlay , made neck strap attachment for front of Tx, sorted a duff push button for timer setting, ..

I made some dust covers to go in front of the slide pots , used some artificial Vivelle fabric robbed from the Misses dolls house stock , stuck panel overlay on with double sided sticky sheet , connected up all plugs/sockets screwed front into the case switched on and Hey Presto! all working ..
Enjoy pictures, and if anyone has any questions, wanting know methodology, how to do, or just an insult :D , let me know...

There is possibly one more to make :?: 8-) the clue is there below in the pictures
IMG_2041.jpg
IMG_2043.jpg
IMG_2044.jpg
IMG_2045.jpg
IMG_2046.jpg
IMG_2049.jpg
IMG_2050.jpg
Wavemeter

Post by Wavemeter »

So SO Gooooood !
I’d love to build one in time
Reconstituted boy