Skyleader Conversion

Single to Multi propo
Mike_K

Skyleader Conversion

Post by Mike_K »

I've recently completed a Skyleader Clubman Super conversion using one of my recently designed LCD encoder boards, LemonRx module and 500mAH Lipo and I'm really pleased with the finished result.

Skyleader_CS_001A.jpg
Skyleader_CS_002A.jpg
Skyleader_CS_003A.jpg
Skyleader_CS_004A.jpg
Skyleader_CS_005A.jpg
Skyleader_CS_006A.jpg
As is usual in my conversions, the menu LCD and switches are hidden behind the manufacture label that is held on with two small magnets and the label itself is backed by 0.4mm ply to give it some rigidity. The LemonRx module and Lipo battery are mounted on a small sub-plate over the main circuit board, I got them made by the pcb manufacturer at the same time as the encoder boards. I've only fitted one auxiliary channel slider/pot as I prefer the Aux2 channel to be a 3 position switch that can also be used for switching mixers in/out - the transmitter will be used as an everyday hack and not just for vintage models.

The only things left to do are to fit a shorter U.FL/IPX to SMA cable, the one supplied was far too short and the only one in my spare box is really too long, a 15cm one is on order, 3D print a cover for the DIN socket for charging and the bind/range check switch and spray the ply on the back of the label with polyurethane, my can seems to have emptied itself since I used it last!

I test flew it on Wednesday, one of the last sunny days we had and the LCD display proved so superior to the OLED display in my Skyleader SLX conversion, in the direct sun the LCD is just as readable as in the dark (it's back-lit), the OLED completely washed-out and unreadable in the sun.

The encoder is my usual 8-channel, 10 model memory type with the usual computer functions such as trim, sub-trim, end points, rates/expo, mixers, timers etc. The actual board is the first one of five I've designed, they all run the same firmware but are different shapes and sizes to try to cover as many transmitter types as possible, I already have received a slightly smaller version that will fit things like Digi-Fleet and Kraft and dedicated versions for Futaba M6 (FP-6FN), Pro Line Competition Series and Sanwa Excellence on order.
Encoder board, front and back, drilling/cutting template for the LCD and menu switches and the optional rf-module mounting plate
Encoder board, front and back, drilling/cutting template for the LCD and menu switches and the optional rf-module mounting plate
As I was doing the conversion I was also writing up installation instructions that are also now complete, so I can finally get the encoder boards out I've been promising for months, so sorry Tobe, Stuart, Philip A, Paul J, Phil_G and others not on this forum for the delay and thanks for your patience.

Production boards will be arriving soon and they will go on sale, what this space!

Mike
Pchristy

Re: Skyleader Conversion

Post by Pchristy »

Excellent work, Mike!

--
Pete
Wavemeter

Post by Wavemeter »

Absolutely brilliant - will have to meet you soon !
Reconstituted boy
wookman

Post by wookman »

Lovely work Mike.
You can't have too many gliders. You can have too little time.