Graupner MC24 Tx 2.4Ghz "conversion"

Single to Multi propo
wookman

Graupner MC24 Tx 2.4Ghz "conversion"

Post by wookman »

I do not need to tell any of you who know what an excellent tx this is. Sadly mine has been getting used less and less as most of my flying is done on 2.4Ghz these days using various FrSky and Spektrum gear. All the FrSky gear is early V8 stuff, most of which will not bind to the new XHT module. The "purchase" (I only paid the postage) of a tatty JR3810 with an early V8 hack module set me to thoughts of upgrading the MC24. These thoughts were further fueled by the discovery of this forum and the Lemonrx DSMP modules. A plan was hatched to install both modules in the MC24 whilst retaining the 35Mhz module and switch to which ever one was required. I tend to think about things too hard and too long. These musings lead to the belief that all those switches and extra wiring were not the best way forward. An advert for a Multiplex telemetry screen reminded me that many moons ago I had acquired a Multiplex MLink module for the MC24. A new plan was hatched to use the easy module change and just plug them in as required. A couple of minor mods have been made to the MLink equipment during installation. The MLink module came with the extension coax cable so I have drilled a hole in the module case to mount the aerial plug. I also shortened the bind button wiring to keep things tidy. On the outside a 90° crank has been incorporated into the aerial so that it doesn't obscure the battery meter. Whilst this conversion is hardly complicated, I am pleased with how it has turned out. The next stage is install the Lemonrx or FrSky hack module into a defunct 35Mhz casing to use in the MC24.
MC24 Multiplex MLink outside
MC24 Multiplex MLink outside
MC24 Multiplex MLink inside
MC24 Multiplex MLink inside
You can't have too many gliders. You can have too little time.
stuart mackay

Re: Graupner MC24 Tx 2.4Ghz "conversion"

Post by stuart mackay »

Am just about to fit LemonRx modules to my MC24s...great radios with amazingly comprehensive software!
wookman

Post by wookman »

My plan is to put the hack module into the defunct 35Mhz module a mate sent me. The problem with the plug in modules is they will not fit into the MC24 module cradle because the socket is set at the wrong height and of course you can't close the case because the aerial is mounted in a box on the back. Starting with the 35Mhz module at least ensures that the physical interface is correct. I am hoping to arrange the new module so that I can see the lights through the window on the back of the MC24 and use the Multiplex bind button on the Lemonrx too.
stuart mackay

Post by stuart mackay »

Here is the plug and go lemon module fitted into the MC24.
Requires the removal of the antenna bulge on the casing and another hole drilling to locate the connector.
Lemon case mod
Lemon case mod
Antenna bulge which needs removing
Antenna bulge which needs removing
Hole for bind button access
Hole for bind button access
Test flight with the new LEMON RX set up on Wednesday yielded perfect results with fantastic range on my 5 metre Valenta Thermik Xl which stayed aloft for 1 hr 40 minutes :D :D :D
wookman

Post by wookman »

Interesting that module plugs in correctly, the FrSky one will not.
Nice model to test it on too. Must get my 4 meter Thermic finished off. Got to finish getting the nose back on the F3f Radical first though. Busy busy.
wookman

Post by wookman »

I have now sourced a second 35Mhz module for the other hack module. So it's now just a matter of finding time between working, wiring up a new room and repairing the Radical etc etc.