New Encoders for Phil_G or F3A version

Single to Multi propo
Mike_K

New Encoders for Phil_G or F3A version

Post by Mike_K »

I've recently received two new encoders designs from JLCPCB that I'd designed in KiCAD, both the same size as a DM More Pro Mini, but with extra circuitry added.

GTS_01.jpg

The encoder is on the left is a V1.4 version of my first design from a few months back (V1.2 and V1.3 never got made). Functionally it's the same as an Arduino Pro Mini and will run the Phil_G firmware or the F3A modified version without modification, but has reverse polarity protection, a gap between the row-of-8 connectors so servo plugs fit more easily and a pot' and two zenner diodes to make the battery meter display voltage. I prefer a 6.8V zenner and Phil prefer a 6.2V, so I fitted both! I tried to keep the cost as low as possible without cutting corners, so fitted a 7 way DIP switch instead of an 8-way, only 7 switches are used, so why pay for the extra way? It does mean that you have to remember that what was SW3-SW8 becomes SW2-SW7. I got JLCPCB to supply and hand solder the DIP switch, sounder, pot', ICSP header and all the smd components, it's cheaper than buying the same components in the UK and saves some soldering. And the hand soldering is as good as mine or Phil's, far better than Chinese hand soldering from the past. They don't do coloured headers (yet), so there is still a little work to fit the headers. I designed them for Phil and will be posting them to him shortly, so contact Phil and not me for availability.

The encoder on the right is subtly different, it's a MK2 version. It has all the same features as the previous design, but uses the newer ATmega328PB microcontroller. It's backwards compatible and cheaper than the normal ATmega328P (used in Arduino) but has two additional I/O (the ATmega328P has 3x GND and 3x Vcc and one of each is now allocated to being I/O). I've used one of the inputs for a low voltage alarm and the other is connected to SW2, so all 8 DIP switches are now used. I've tested it with the standard Phil_G encoder and my F3A modified version without any code modifications, so it's truly backwards compatible and I've then added a sounder for low voltage/battery alarm, but haven't decided what to do with SW2. There is enough flash memory to have both Phil_G and the F3A encoder versions together and you use SW2 to select between them, or it could be used to set neutrals and end-points. Any suggestions for its use? The one problem is that there's a global shortage of ATmega328PB, so I won't be able to get any more made until later in the year or early next year.

Mike
Wayne_H

Re: New Encoders for Phil_G or F3A version

Post by Wayne_H »

Top job Mike! ;)

The more I use Phil's FHSS system (up to 6 channels) the more impressed I am with it's reliability, performance & cost 8-) - I'm sure its wishful thinking on my part, but if there were a way to combine Phil's 2.4GHz FHSS link and Rx's with other encoders, that would be nirvana. I realize that Phil's system is a complete digital system, but am I being too simplistic (naïve :? ) in thinking that a PWM to digital conversion stage between the output of your Mk2 encoder board and the RF stage could(?) enable Phil's FHSS Rx's to work with this board and encoder, and other encoder boards+software? I'm guessing it would be similar in principle (but "reversed") to the use of one of the existing 'digital'-to-PPM-to-PWM converters between a Rx and servo's/flight controller/etc. If its feasible, is that something that could use your additional flash memory?

Like I said, wishful thinking probably, but if ya don't ask ya don't find out :P
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

Hi Wayne

I promised Tobe that I'd do him a ppm in nRF24L01 Phil_G out compatible module (a Phil_G DIY module), so that Tobe could use one of my "multi-model" encoders with LCD with the Phil_G based Rx he's designed. And that was 8 months ago, so I really must put it higher on the to-do list. That is unless somebody else wants to take up the challenge! When I eventually get around to doing this, it'll be Arduino Pro Mini based, so you could finish with two Arduino, one for the encoder and one for the nRF24L01, but the encoder could have a lot more functionality.

Cheers

Mike
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

That's great news Mike.

If I can assist in any way let me know - my specialty is crash test dummy - but I think I'd only get in the way :cry: :lol:
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
MelD

Post by MelD »

Mike,
I would like to buy some of these. I contacted Phil and he said to contact you. Can you pm me the details? P.S., would like a couple of your new F3A programmable encoders.
Later,
Mel D.