Futaba M6 Conversion

Single to Multi propo
Mike_K

Futaba M6 Conversion

Post by Mike_K »

GTF_03.jpg
I've just started on another Futaba M6 open gimbal conversion, this one with a custom-designed encoder board dedicated to Futaba M4/M6 (Futaba FP-6EN and FP-6FN outside of the UK). The board was designed in KiCAD and uses my proven GTB encoder circuit schematic, but the board layout has been modified to fit the Futaba. In fact, using KiCAD (or other pcb software like Eagle or EasyEDA), once you have a proven circuit schematic, different custom shapes are quite straightforward and I've now got dedicated encoders on order for Pro Line, Sanwa Excellence, Fleet XP/FM (or PCM/Omega) and a design that should fit Micron, RCS and similar with a small badge to hide the LCD and menu switches.
GTF_04.jpg
So far I've removed the metal battery support so I can cut the hole for the LCD and menu switches, cut the holes for the magnets to hold the label on and all the other switches (rates, throttle cut etc), mounted the encoder and temporarily powered it up to make sure everything lines up OK.
GTF_01.jpg
GTF_02a.jpg

The boards have been supplied by JLCPCB who fitted all the smd components. But the first board I assembled and fitted didn't work. After a few minutes investigation I found that the reverse protection MOSFET was missing, but the other 9 boards I'd ordered all had it fitted. I guess the smd placement machine had a mis-fire? I've simply fitted a small wire jumper to bridge where the MOSFET should have been.

The next step will be to wire all the joysticks and switches and also figure out where to fit a small Li-Po battery, a 450mA should fit to the right of the board. If I ever do a MK2 version of the encoder, I would lay out the PCB with everything except the LCD moved to the left leaving more room for larger batteries or Li-Ion or NiMH on the right (viewed from the back). I think this one will have a LemonRx DIY 2.4GHZ module, though I have more spare FrSky Rx, so a DHT may be fitted.

Mike
Wayne_H

Re: Futaba M6 Conversion

Post by Wayne_H »

Very professional Mike.

I'm continually impressed by the projects on this forum, and the degree of 'wizardry' demonstrated. Makes me cringe a little when I recall some of my Heath Robinson encoders assembled on perf board :oops: , but then that's another of the great attractions of this forum - a mere mortal like lil 'ol me can produce a very satisfying & functional Tx conversion using my "basic techniques"( :roll: ) running the software you boffins share so readily with us :P 8-)
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
Ceejay

Post by Ceejay »

Hello
New member here
Joined to find out what to do with a M6 set I have. It’s all boxed up and complete.
As I now see they can be converted to 2.4 but I have no idea what I would do with it even then so what to do do I sell it to someone with the skills/interest to convert it or get it converted.
I mainly fly large scale WW1 models, some slope and towed glides as
7B694FD1-1289-44B7-964D-FBB874076DEC.jpg
both tow,eer and tow,ee very occasional aerobics and a bit of indoors for which I have modern setups.
All help advice welcome.
I have no idea of it’s value it’s been in my workshop for years and seems a shame to just gather dust.

Chris
Attachments
063A4190-24F8-40AB-8AE6-C6822774345C.jpg
0C21526C-6067-4689-BE9C-01AC73995729.jpg
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Convert it Chris.. It will be perfect for a big pup 😉.

Shaun
stuart mackay

Post by stuart mackay »

Chris, some more inspiration for you

Gold using original Encoder and Lemon Rx DIY module
Futaba Gold on 2.4.jpeg
Late M6 using Mike K/ Phil G F3A encoder
DSCF5504crop.jpg
DSCF5506crop (1).jpg
Video of the conversion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwgI71lvLiE&t=2s