DSMP/DSM2/DSMX transmitter choice advice needed

Single to Multi propo
Stew

DSMP/DSM2/DSMX transmitter choice advice needed

Post by Stew »

Hi all.

I'm after a little advice on a transmitter purchase.
My main transmitter is currently a FlySky FSI6 (an excellent cheap little tranny) which I use with a small amount of park-fly and full range receivers, and just for the fun of it I also use a lovely old Micron transmitter converted to 2.4 which currently uses the 'Lemon Rx' gear which I'm very impressed with. I use the Lemon Rx gear in my single channel 'button' transmitters too, as well as for RDT in free-flight models.

For commonality reasons and for the vast array of receivers that are available, I'm considering going 'All DSMP/DSMX' and for that reason I'd like an 'off the shelf' brand new DSMX transmitter to act as a solid reliable backup to my existing gear.
It would have to be useable for anything from a cheap indoor foamie up to glow powered 40 trainer, and everything in between.

I had considered going 'All FlySky' because I am very happy with my FlySky stuff, but there just doesn't seem to be the range of receivers that Lemon and Spektrum and so on have.

(I have some FrSky stuff, but I'm just not that impressed with it to be honest, so I'll be selling it).

Penny for your thoughts?

Stew.
Martin

Re: DSMP/DSM2/DSMX transmitter choice advice needed

Post by Martin »

You could get a RadioMaster TX16S. It's good value and will work with all your receivers: FlySky, FrSky, DSMX, DSM2, as well as most other types.
Disadvantage is that the OpenTx (or alternative) firmware that the transmitter runs is a little more difficult to learn than the Spectrum transmitters, but if you've previously used FrSky, you'll be used to it already. It's ultimately better and more flexible than Spektrum (or Futaba or FlySky any of the other brands) but it does have a steeper learning curve. There are lots of internet tutorials available, and probably people in your club that already use it.
stuart mackay

Post by stuart mackay »

Second the Radiomaster TX16S recommendation, a lot of bang for your buck, but will drive Lemon and Spektrum ( as well as several others) protocols easily and model select will get the correct protocol working with your receivers.
I have even plugged a Lemon JR module in the back and I think you can get it to transmit using two protocols simultaneously if needed.
Agreed the OpenTx can be a bit daunting but as has already been said, once you have had a go alongside the many YouTube tutorials it soon becomes second nature!
Stew

Post by Stew »

Very tempted with that one. I had misgivings about a multi protocol transmitter, but the idea of open TX, coming from a background of Linux use, will probably be right up my alley! I do like to tinker..

Stew.