Climax Digital from C&L Developments, Weybridge

Single to Multi propo
stuart mackay

Climax Digital from C&L Developments, Weybridge

Post by stuart mackay »

Thought I would share some photos in the hope of shedding more light and maybe some history from the forum members of a couple of Climax Radios, one is a boxed set with Climax branded servos. The serial number is No 32.
The transmitter is painted in a Hammerite Red and is a 4 channel set with what looks like Bonner stick units. Rx and servos are in anodised red cases
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (6).jpg
s-l1600 (5).jpg
s-l1600 (4).jpg
s-l1600 (3).jpg
The second one is a 5 channel transmitter in a vinyl clad case fitted with OS stick units and channel five is propo channel operated by a centrally placed lever. The serial number is 199 which leads me to believe they are not that common.
DSCF0486 reduced.jpg
DSCF0484 reduced.jpg
Looking forward to seeing any info you may have tucked away in your memories?
Pchristy

Re: Climax Digital from C&L Developments, Weybridge

Post by Pchristy »

Gosh! That's quite a find!

Climax were better known for their servos, back in the "reed" era, and their first proportional sets used modified versions of those servos. I think that is what you have with No.32!

And yes, those probably are Bonner sticks! Bonner spent a fortune tooling up for sticks and servos for the Digimite - the first mass produced digital system - and was quite happy to sell them to anyone - even rivals - to recoup the costs involved!

In the early years, nearly every manufacturer used Bonner sticks at one point or another - even Kraft! And many used Digimite servos as well, though often with their own electronics inside.

Since Climax were already well known for producing decent-ish servos - without the price-tag associated with American imports - it made sense to modify these for proportional use.

I don't recall them surviving very long. Although their servos had been around a while, I think the cost of producing (and servicing!) an early digital system must have stretched them to the limit! I don't think they were a particularly big company, but I stand to be corrected!

Those sets look in exceptionally good condition! Have you fired them up yet?

--
Pete
Spike S

Post by Spike S »

The Climax "Musclemite" reeds servo, (same configuration as in your photo but anodised a pinkish colour if I remember correctly) came as a diy kit option at considerable cost saving. I built a couple of these for my RCS6 reeds Rx and they were reliable and (relatively) powerful.
Spike S
(Tune for maximum smoke)
stuart mackay

Post by stuart mackay »

Pchristy wrote: 27 Apr 2022, 18:47 Gosh! That's quite a find!
Those sets look in exceptionally good condition! Have you fired them up yet?

--
Pete
Not as yet, Pete, No 32 still has a DEAC in there but havent tried charging it as yet and the later set has had it's battery removed at some point which has held back the corrosion on the vinyl coated ali...phew!
Pchristy

Post by Pchristy »

Quick tip! If the Tx DEAC is 8-cells, replace with a 3-cell LiFe - almost exactly the same nominal voltage (9.8 Vs 9.9). If its a 10-cell pack, use 2x2cell LiFes in series (both 12V).

No corrosion issues that I'm aware of, and they hold their charge forever! Much better than LiPos for Tx replacements!

:)

--
Pete