FlightLink Control Duette

Single to Multi propo
stuart mackay

Re: FlightLink Control Duette

Post by stuart mackay »

Well the post Ponty FLC work has continued today (it was raining in Norfolk) with stripping down a cheap servo and using the Amp as Rob Cloke has done and wiring it into the Duette servos with success and they move with an eery silence!

Also Phil thrust his Fablon covered Duette into my hands at Ponty, with me promising to return it to him in "Restomod" form in due course.
We had a bit of a discussion about the handle fitted to one side, with me believing it to be an after-market mod by a previous owner, well searching the forum, I see that Mike Kitchen's Duette is also equipped with such a cupboard door handle as Phil's Tx, so I am left thinking that it was either a factory mod for the boat modellers not wanting to drop their Tx into the Oggin or a complete co-incidence that Rudder and Throttle equipped Duettes were fitted with a handle. The restored one doesnt have any sign of it being fitted and also has a self centring left hand stick, so maybe aircraft ones were without and surface Tx had them fitted by the factory???

Anyone with more info on this quirk??
Tx_Display (2).jpg
Here is Phil's Duette after a strip down and before a visit to the powder coaters
_STU5445.jpg
RobertC

Post by RobertC »

Hi Stuart

Glad to see you managed to do your servos , they seem so slow compared with the latest ones now I found , but it’s a cheap conversion and does the job well …
Good luck with Phils conversion , post the pictures of your progress…
stuart mackay

Post by stuart mackay »

Just collected Phil's Duette from the powder coaters
20220613_122025.jpg
stuart mackay

Post by stuart mackay »

Over to you now Phil for some NRF magic!

:D :D :D :D
20220613_205217.jpg
20220613_205250.jpg
davejones

Post by davejones »

Wow. looks really good - especially after seeing the before pics.
Dave Jones
RobertC

Post by RobertC »

What a fantastic turnaround and renovation Stuart, bloomin great , I bet your chuffed Phil ?
Your opinion please on the finish and quality of powder coating to original stove enamelling ..
stuart mackay

Post by stuart mackay »

RobertC wrote: 14 Jun 2022, 12:19 Your opinion please on the finish and quality of powder coating to original stove enamelling ..
Thanks Rob! Hopefully Phil will be able to comment more as the Duette should now be back in his possession 👍

Powder coating has a thicker film thickness that stove enamelling doesn't seem to have and a skilled painter is needed to avoid orange peel in the finish. Stoving gives a more even coating but probably not such a good edge coverage as powder. Gloss finish of powder is pretty indistinguishable compared to something like my sovereign or series 3 transmitters which are stoved.

Powder feels like a more durable finish but that is purely subjective and certainly has more chip resistance than my other Flightlink txs.

Hope this answers your question?
RobertC

Post by RobertC »

Perfect answer thank you , I’ve never had powder coating done as such and was not sure , I suppose it’s similar to having alloy wheels re -furnished and coated ..
So the final result will be Phil displaying it in all its glory ….
Looking forward
stuart mackay

Post by stuart mackay »