Replacement servo amplifier

Single to Multi propo
Tobe

Re: Replacement servo amplifier

Post by Tobe »

Just a quick note, I can build almost everything but I'm completely ignorant as code/programming except...maybe make a few changes, so all my little projects relay to get a soul from guys like Mike_K and Phil_G to who I'm extremely grateful for sharing their knowledge and time and not least proud to have in my line of friendship.

Cheers

Tobe
Cheers,

Tobe
Pchristy

Post by Pchristy »

Mike_K: Yes, its a "red box" Sprengbrook. I've had it from new, and it was extremely reliable - except for a tendency for the SCSs to stop working if the temperature fell below zero!

I ended up buying a bag of them, and replacing them one by one, checking them with a freezer spray, until I had two Rxs that would work sub-zero! Neither missed a beat after that! :D

They've been sat in a cupboard for ages! One set of servos is early 3-wire, the other is 4-wire. The 4-wire ones were discrete component amps and actually worked better than the 3-wire ones! However, making up centre-tapped battery packs is a bit of a pain, and the opportunity to upgrade the amps sounds good.

There's another time consuming project for me.....!

Tobe: Don't worry! When I was designing radio gear, although I made the prototypes, Peter Valentine (of Lark helicopter fame) would take my designs and shrink them down to a size that I could only dream about!

Team work is nothing to be ashamed of! :D

--
Pete
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

I have boards to spare Pete so will bring a few with me to Ponte.
The size is 15x21 mm, would they fit?

...want to be sure that the proper credit is given
Cheers,

Tobe
Pchristy

Post by Pchristy »

Tobe: I'll open up a servo and check. They are identical to the US MicroAvionics "clip-in" servos, later used by Brand Microprop IIRC.

They are not particularly small, thought they were considered that "back in the day"!

:lol:

--
Pete
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

Micro Avionics - Orbit
20220517_083054.jpg
Can't find any servos but I'm quite sure they are in the range of the Kraft KPS-14 / KPS-15 as they all used the same motors.
Cheers,

Tobe
Pchristy

Post by Pchristy »

Image100_2405 by Peter Christy, on Flickr

The red servo is the 3-wire one, and the grey is 4-wire.

Somewhere, I have a broken one that I was given for spares. I'll have a search for it and take some measurements from it...

--
Pete
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

I may have some of these. They're yours if I can find them Pete
Pchristy

Post by Pchristy »

Thanks, Shaun! The ones I've got are all OK - at least, they were the last time they were fired up! I don't currently have a suitable centre-tapped battery to try the grey ones...!

Tobe: The original amp is 24.2x18mm. I thought I saw the measurements for yours somewhere, but I can't find it again now! Perhaps my memory is playing tricks...!

But I also have some Kraft helicopter servos (4-wire) that came with a batch of old transmitters I passed on a while back. Might be interesting to do those up! They don't look like they've had much use!

--
Pete
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

21 x 15 mm, so there should be plenty of space!....Will have some with me to Ponte to try out after which you have to come up with a number.
Kraft type servos are probably the one that have withstand time the best as plastic concerning
Cheers,

Tobe