Another Digimac 1+1

Single to Multi propo
Wayne_H

Another Digimac 1+1

Post by Wayne_H »

I was recently gifted a MacGregor Digimac 1+1 Tx by fellow Retrobate & Kiwi forum member, Brian_Z. Brian had kept the Tx tucked away in his workshop for a future conversion project, but in a rush of blood to the head, passed it onto me. I'm extremely grateful, thanks Brian.
my MacGregor "care package" from Brian
my MacGregor "care package" from Brian
case before stripping and cleaning.jpg
internals before stripping.jpg
stripped case before cleaning.jpg
Never having seen any MacGregor set in the flesh before, I spent some time examining it, before starting on restoration & gigification. The Tx has had plenty of use, the silk-screened artwork being very worn in places. The Wee Mac transfer on the back has also seen better days. Does anyone have the artwork for any of these items?

Digimac 1+1 text_Tx front.jpg
case back_wee MacGregor.jpg
MacGregor symbol.jpg

After taking some piccies, I stripped it down, cleaned everything and set about reassembling the hardware. There was bad negative lead corrosion, fortunately removed along with the original circuit board.

negative lead corrosion.jpg
the original stick pot on its mount, which screwed to the PCB then front bezel
the original stick pot on its mount, which screwed to the PCB then front bezel

The power switch and push button have both been replaced as well as a DIN charge socket in the side panel, which looks like an add-on by a previous owner. The control stick was removed, checked and cleaned. The wire wound pot received a couple of strategically placed squirts of CRC Electrical lube & Cleaner & was then stood up on end overnight to enable the lube to penetrate. Thereafter, the pot exhibited smooth operation with excellent linearity measured at the pot wiper.

On the original, the pcb is supported via the switch, stick bezel & push button. The stick housing is then mounted on the pcb. I tried making an alternative stick mounting/standoff out of a 3.5mm structural plastic packer, but with my limited access to tools in our rental accommodation, it didn't turn out too well. So, I purchased a hacksaw blade and laboriously cut the pcb down and re-used that. To provide a firm mount, I glued 4 grommets onto the underside of the pcb cutout, one at each corner. The grommets were slightly compressed when the board was screwed down onto the stick bezel, providing a simple & firm stick mount.

new_stick_mount+pushbutton.jpg
stick+pot_on_cutdown_PCB.jpg
encoder.jpg

Initially, I have used a Frsky DHT module running off Phil's ATtiny85 1+1 encoder. This works well on the bench & is a combination I have successfully used in several other 1+1 Txs. The MacGregor installation is a bit Heath Robinson, with the RF board and encoder both mounted with velcro.

First iteration, fitted with FrSky encoder on Velcro tabs.
First iteration, fitted with FrSky encoder on Velcro tabs.
finished_FrSky.jpg

I'm contemplating putting a FrSky Rx inside the MacGregor Rx case, but the MacGregor case is so big, I'd have to mount the FrSky receiver against one end just to get enough antenna sticking out through the metal Rx case! I've also started on a CC2500 DIY tx module using Martin's CPPM code.
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
PaulJ

Re: Another Digimac 1+1

Post by PaulJ »

Wayne, I have done a Digimac 1+1 which was in pretty good condition to start with so I could take a decent photo of it so you could make up a decal for yourself........ I have also done an MR200 single channel tranny which was not in good condition and I made up a decal for that....... The squirly design down the edges was (I think) originally posted by Ron on the old forum, I could send you that but as you can see, it is not perfect. It comes out slightly larger but shorter than the original and the squirls go the same way both sides whereas on the original they go opposite directions each side. Other bits were either from photos or made up using different fonts from "Word". It's not perfect but it looks the part and I challenge anyone to notice out on the flying field ;) . I think the Wee Willy motif was only on later transmitters and none of my MacGregor transmitters had it on them so you could leave that off and pretend yours is older than it is!
20220524_075558[1].jpg
Paul
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Thanks Paul, 2 very well presented Tx's mate, right down to your trade mark 2.4 Ghz antenna hidden in the pennant! May I get the MacGregor wording templates please. The current worn trim on my version does give a certain "street cred" to the Tx, which I'm warming to.

I note that your 1+1 doesn't have a meter - I take it that the meter on my version is another tell-tale of it being a later model? The eagle-eyed may also notice that we have different stick knobs :shock: My trannie didn't have one so I had to use a substitute.

Have a great time at Ponte. :)
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Wayne, the only MacGregor wording decals I have are what is on the single channel transmitter and I note that the font is different to that on your 1+1 however this is it if is any use to you......
Macgregor Motif.jpg
Macgregor Motif.jpg (5.82 KiB) Viewed 826 times
As for the meter, I'm not certain but I don't think MacGregor produced a 1+1 with a meter......... Your picture isn't entirely clear but it looks as though the cutout in the case is not anodised which suggests that the meter may not be original fit and may have been added by an owner at some stage? :?

Paul
Last edited by PaulJ on 25 May 2022, 18:09, edited 1 time in total.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Paul's correct, none of the blue anodized s/c or 1 channel and 1+1 propo sets had a meter.

Shaunm