Another Flight Link "Duette" :-)

Single to Multi propo
Phil_G

Another Flight Link "Duette" :-)

Post by Phil_G »

The FLC (Flight Link Controls) "Duette" was a two channel set intended either for gliders using rudder & elevator, or for model boats using rudder & throttle. In 'boat mode' it was marketed as the "Launch Link Duette", which makes this one a puzzle!
Electronically, the modulation was extremely simple with a free-running astable at 1000-2000uS either side, one side timed by rudder pot, the other side by the elevator pot. The servo amps were in the receiver, each servo was just a motor & a feedback pot.

These sets were hand made to a very high standard but fifty years on this was a tatty example, with bits of insulating tape and black fablon hiding most of the scruffy case. I was admiring the restoration Stuart Mackay has done on his own Duette, like new, making mine look pitiful in comparison!
Stu explained that its a guy he knows who does powder coating, and offered to take mine for the same treatment.
The result, I think is probably better than new!

Since this is a rudder/throttle version, I gave the separate throttle trim pot a channel of its own, as an elevator trim with +/- 10% movement just for trimming. This means existing elevator models can be trimmed when using this set, though I expect it will mainly be used just for rudder & throttle, like the Digimac 1+1 in my Poppet. I've not heatshrunk anything until the pots have had a good exercise, its very easy to loosen these old rivetted pot tags.
The meter is wired, 15k + 6v2 is perfect (must be a 150μA meter)

RF is of course from the NRF FHSS project.
I think its turned out really well, thanks Stu !

I've a few rudder-only or rudder-throttle models, like the Tomboy 48, the Poppet, Pulstar, various Sharkfaces, Swannee, Simplex, Moonbeam etc and since all my gear has a common config I can use it to fly any of these... probably the Poppet as its one of my favourites... :D
On the other hand I have an Aerokits Sea Commander which I'm keen to sail again (another nostalgia thing - Dads first RC model around 1963 ish) and also a half-built Dragonforce yacht...
I sorted the meter last night, a 15k & 6v2 zener worked out perfectly for a 2S Lidl drill cell.

Cheers
Phil
RobertC

Re: Another Flight Link "Duette" :-)

Post by RobertC »

😮excellent job from the case resto by Stuart to the reconstruction by Yourself , thanks for sharing
Are you going to install in anything Phil?
stuart mackay

Re: Another Flight Link "Duette" :-)

Post by stuart mackay »

Glad you like it Phil and that it will now be used again in anger like my one!
Maybe a FLC Duette slot of two in formation at next year's Ponty?!? :D :D :D :D :D