Simprop PCM with F3A conversion

Single to Multi propo
Adrian_H

Simprop PCM with F3A conversion

Post by Adrian_H »

Alongside the Skyleader I was 'gifted' a Simprop PCM with plug-in F3A module.
Simprop and Skyleader in before conversion
Simprop and Skyleader in before conversion
I was hoping I could retain the module and take the analogue signals at the input of the 8 channel ADC IC to feed a new encoder. Whilst some channels were easily identified Simprop had multiplexed the others. It was quickly apparent that the best option was to use Mike_K's F3A variant of Phil_G's encoder.

Here is the result, implemented on a DIY More board - awaiting switch labels though. There is a little loss of function compared to the analogue module but possibly only flap->elevator might be missed if the model has flaps. The module (with all knobs...) is still there, glued in place for looks only. The LemonTX module is in the plug-in 35MHz housing on the side.
Simprop PCM - original F3A module is now for looks only.
Simprop PCM - original F3A module is now for looks only.
The trims are electronic and unlike the Skyleader were applied in the F3A module. A little Vero 'daughter board' was made to connect the stick/trim plugs so their wiring didn't have to be changed and the 10k resistors to couple them could be easily accommodated. So the servos can be reversed via the plug - as original - or via the encoder.

I did, however, make one small change to the F3A code so that the channel order now matches all my other Spektrum dual-aileron models and no mods are required to the Lemon Tx module (I plan to use one of the G2 Rx's).
The sketch is posted here.

I've made extensive use of, and come to rely on, telemetry for the electric flight-pack. Obviously these conversions don't have that, but I have found a simple, inexpensive, 'Fly-By Audible Telemetry' solution for on-board monitoring...
Onboard Battery Monitor
Onboard Battery Monitor

I was looking to change the battery meter to one like this but that's another story...
wookman

Re: Simprop PCM with F3A conversion

Post by wookman »

Hi Adrian.
Any chance of sorting the Skyleader link so that it takes us to the Courier rather than the Wee MacGregor
You can't have too many gliders. You can have too little time.
Adrian_H

Post by Adrian_H »

wookman wrote: 14 Nov 2022, 17:32 Any chance of sorting the Skyleader link so that it takes us to the Courier rather than the Wee MacGregor
I didn't post the Courier separately, only referred to it at the end in relation to using S/C with the Hepcat.

But here it is in close-up.
Skyleader Courier with Phil_G 7Ch encoder conversion.
Skyleader Courier with Phil_G 7Ch encoder conversion.
wookman

Post by wookman »

Very nice. Thanks for the pics.
You can't have too many gliders. You can have too little time.