Transmitter case....

Single to Multi propo
Tobe

Transmitter case....

Post by Tobe »

I often get questions abouts a suitable case for a Tx project but never had a good answer mainly because I have access to tools to cut and bend aluminum so I just copied the classic ones, procedure that need some practice however and some dedicated tooling.
As the question was raised up again, some unnamed person needed a small Tx to go slope soaring thus I started to think and exercise the little grey cells...and I realized there's a simpler way and more accessible for most of you with a little ingenuity and if necessary a little help from a local shop.
The concept is based on 3d printed side cheeks and an aluminum sheet cut to size with 4 bends. The bends needs some attention but not rocket science!
I collect scrap pieces at a nearby roofing and glazier company and believe it or not 1 mm aluminum is very common when doing cladding and you can find all kind of colors!
20230504_171650.jpg
20230505_092039.jpg
20230504_171543.jpg
20230504_171655.jpg
A peak inside in how it could look like
A peak inside in how it could look like
All transmitter you see here are based on the same 3D-printed side cheeks and just the width has been adapted till what my needs might be.
Here follows a few hints and tips in how to make your own case with your choice of sticks and electronic. My cheeks are so designed to accommodate a DIY More board in it
To the left a regular DIY More sized board and to the left one of my own integrated nRF24L01 based encoders
To the left a regular DIY More sized board and to the left one of my own integrated nRF24L01 based encoders
20230504_180445.jpg
20230504_175806.jpg
The big step, if you would call a big step is to bend the aluminum properly and have it to fit, this actually easier than you would expect but like everything it would need some practice but as you are working with scrap pieces...
You have to start with a piece with the desired width and at least true at one end
20230504_174825.jpg
....after which you draw your lines corresponding the size of the cheeks, mine are 48 mm x 128 mm to which I add an overlap of 15 mm, all lines and marks can easily be drawn with a regular pencil, I use a 0,5 mm pencil for the reason it's half of the thickness of the aluminum!
...sorry, should be 128 not 80!
...sorry, should be 128 not 80!
The arrows shows the direction you should follow when applying the bends, you work from the center toward the extremities, see the arrows and numbers, aligne behind your line.
20230504_175558.jpg
20230504_175732.jpg

The necessary holes can be drilled before bendig when you have got a little practice otherwise just locate their position by dead reckoning....
With a little practice you will be able to make any custom made case you would imagine and find needs that you don't really new you had. I use the same technique for most my projects that would need a case so only your fantasy is the limit.
Here I'm showing the Mode Zero Stick!

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=1501

Here are the 3D-printing files that I use in the building of a complete DIY Tx if you add the Mode Zero sticks and one of the DIY encoders but of course why not transfer old electronics/sticks from an outright unit as everything is allowed when you have fun, .stl files as .step files for those that would like to personalize them.
Would recommend to download a .step viewer if...there are several out there that are free.
If you are looking to reverse the position of the trim just mirror in your printer the relevant cheek.
Tx-files.zip
(503.43 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
20230504_191225.jpg
20230504_191213.jpg
After 30 hrs of printing the R/O set up
20230601_204334.jpg
RO & Accessories.zip
(851.52 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
In the folder you have the essential files for a R/O set, unfortunately I haven't been able to clean it up so you might find doubles, explore and pick what you need!

Cheers

Tobe
Cheers,

Tobe
Shaun

Re: Transmitter case....

Post by Shaun »

Just like the old SLM ones, brilliant.👍
RobertC

Post by RobertC »

Lovely engineering Tobe, thank you for sharing
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

...I'm not unique, nor the first one or....so no risk to end up there!
When you do something as a team also called collaboration you just ends up here on the forum and that's good enough for me.
If you browse the web/youTube you will find several similar ongoing projects more or less complicated around the world.
Cheers,

Tobe
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

BMFA mag Greeny. No way....... only RCM&E is good enough for the Mode-Zero tx and actuator teams collective works. :D
Al Clark

Post by Al Clark »

Tobe you never cease to amaze me! Always thinking up unique and special designs that work so well. Love the case ends/sides and especially the built-in mounts for the encoder boards.
Al Clark
_AL_

Post by _AL_ »

Awesome project. I love it.
leccyflyer

Post by leccyflyer »

Those cases are magnificent - they look completely period authentic and bring back so many memories, but at the same time use the most modern technology in their design. Superb.
stuart mackay

Post by stuart mackay »

Shaun wrote: 05 May 2023, 16:46 BMFA mag Greeny. No way....... only RCM&E is good enough for the Mode-Zero tx and actuator teams collective works. :D
second that, Shaun! :D
_AL_

Post by _AL_ »

Very, Very nice.