Finally I have a complete Soraco Skyleader 3+1

Single to Multi propo
Mike_K

Finally I have a complete Soraco Skyleader 3+1

Post by Mike_K »

Where possible I always like to have complete sets for my R/C collection, but for some sets like my Soraco Skyleader 3+1, I assumed I'd never find a matching Rx and servo's. But then a flight pack appeared on eBay and there was no way I was going to miss that. So now I have the complete set of the first Skyleader when they were anodised blue and not yellow.
Soraco_Skyleader.jpg

The "job lot" came with a "servo" I'm not familiar with. It's got an anodised gold case, the case is 30mm x 30mm x 25mm high, but it's just the motor and limit switches (wipers on PCB tracks), the case is too small for the electronics and the circuit board sits on top of the case (it's just glued on). It's like a miniature Bonner Transmite without the electronics. Anybody any idea what it is? Another linear servo for your photo Shaun!
PXL_20230703_094543633.jpg
PXL_20230703_094529680.jpg

Finally there was also a nice boxed Ripmax Orient Minimite servo and wiring harness, a bonus because all I was really after was the Skyleader Rx + servos,
PXL_20230703_231513330.jpg
stuart mackay

Re: Finally I have a complete Soraco Skyleader 3+1

Post by stuart mackay »

Congrats Mike! The Unicorn now has its hooves! :D :lol:
Pchristy

Post by Pchristy »

Hi, Mike,

Thought I posted a reply when you originally posted this, but it seems to have got lost on the ether somewhere! :lol:

The 3+1 uses Bonner Digimite servos, but looking at your photos, yours seem to have been modified by cutting the mounting lugs off! This was presumably to get them to fit in a pylon racer, which was the original intended function of the 3+1 sets.

Here's a pic of one of my Bonner servos, with a JR for size comparison:

ImageDSCF2138 by Peter Christy, on Flickr

The Skyleader looked very much like the F&M 3+1, and I suspect was a "carbon copy"!

The other "odd" servo bears a resemblance to the Climax servos. I've never held one, only remember the ads for them. The Climax servos were originally for relay equipped reed radios, and should have been quite small. I think they eventually did a relayless version, and I know they did a feedback version because they produced a complete digital system for a short while. I wonder if that servo is a home made modification of a Climax reed servo? Difficult to tell without knowing the size of both.

I never had an issue with the Bonner sticks. Mind you, it was my first proportional so I didn't have anything to compare them with! Most of those early sets had very strong springs - even my Sprengbrook - and I now find it quite hard to get the sticks in modern transmitters hard enough for my liking!

The one oddity of the Bonner sticks was that the trim moved just the centre position rather than move the whole range. In other words, the end points remained the same. However, this was necessary with the Digimite servos, as being linear output, moving the end points would cause them to stall at one end or the other. These were powerful servos - something like 8lbs thrust, when new! Hitting the end stop could cause some serious damage!

See you at Ponty!

--
Pete
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

As the weather isn't looking too good for the coming Ponty weekend, I think there's going to be more talking than flying, so maybe I should pack the Skyleader 3+1 so you can see how it looks and feels in person. Any other radio gear you'd like me to bring along?
Pchristy

Post by Pchristy »

Yes, the forecast isn't looking great, is it? Mind you, its been changing on a daily basis down here. On Saturday, they were forecasting thunderstorms for Sunday. Sunday morning, they were showing fine and sunny all day - albeit with a stiff breeze!

A piece of seaweed hung outside the door could do better! :evil:

Yes, I'd like to have a look at the 3+1. I only remember seeing them from a distance, back in the day. If I have room, I'll try and get the Digimite in, but I may not have space!

I wonder how they mounted those servos back then? I didn't think servo tape had been invented that far back...!

Cheers,

--
Pete
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

One sided tape with contact glue on the other!
Cheers,

Tobe
Pchristy

Post by Pchristy »

Of course!

Why didn't I think of that!

:lol:

--
Pete
stuart mackay

Post by stuart mackay »

Found this lurking in one of my bags of bits, dont think it is the servo that Pete refers to but thought it might prove of interest for the radio historians amongst us
Pchristy wrote: 11 Jul 2023, 08:50
The other "odd" servo bears a resemblance to the Climax servos. I've never held one, only remember the ads for them. The Climax servos were originally for relay equipped reed radios, and should have been quite small. I think they eventually did a relayless version, and I know they did a feedback version because they produced a complete digital system for a short while. I wonder if that servo is a home made modification of a Climax reed servo? Difficult to tell without knowing the size of both.
16916521222224795579001457107723.jpg
16916521659168819437821609510326.jpg
16916521979201536789406053382878.jpg
Pchristy

Post by Pchristy »

Thanks for posting that! Its not the one I had in mind, but interesting nonetheless. I know Climax did produce a digital system, but I don't recall an analogue set.

The servo I was thinking of was from the reed era. IIRC it was quite small, but had a push-pull output. I think it was intended for use with relay receivers, because from my recollections, it would have been too small to contain an amp.

I'll have to look through some of my (very old!) books and see if I can find any images...

--
Pete
tiptipflyer

Post by tiptipflyer »

Hi Pete,

maybe something like that:
MultiServo.jpg
I do have some of them in my bin, just have to find them.
Frank