MiTo R/C Set (Mike - Tobe)

Post by Mike_K »

The MiTo Transmitter
The MiTo Transmitter
The guts of the Tx
The guts of the Tx
The complete MiTo set, computer Tx, Rx and servos in a case
The complete MiTo set, computer Tx, Rx and servos in a case

This R/C set is the cumulation of various joint projects between Tobe and myself and has resulted in this 6/8 channel set (the Tx is 8 channel, but this Rx is only 6 channel) with Rx and servos that are all "homemade". Tobe has dubbed it the MiTo set (Mike - Tobe) and I guess the name has stuck. I was going to call it the K2 as both our surnames begin with "K", but I was too late in naming.

Tobes nRF24 module
Tobes nRF24 module

I guess the heart of this project is the nRF24 module. It started pre-Ponty 2022 when I made a casual throwaway remark to Tobe that I thought it should be straightforward to make a ppm in - nRF24 Phil_G protocol out module (like a LemonRx or FrSky DIY module, but using Phil_G protocol). The next thing I knew, Tobe with his usual enthusiasm had designed and made the circuit board as I'd described. No excuse now... But other projects and priorities got in the way until 3 weeks before the recent Ponty meet when it got top of the project priority list. When others were burning the midnight oil cutting and sanding balsa, I was in front of my PC monitor trying to figure out how to make it work. After a few days of solid programming and testing, it was working to my satisfaction and I shared the code with Tobe to test. Next thing I know he's already installed it in a JR transmitter and test-flown it, without a problem. Tobe has now designed an even smaller module, even smaller than a LemonRx module, that is small.

Then Tobe built a case that was large enough to house the nRF24 and my GTA encoder and together with some of his latest mini-servos and a few RX brought it across to the UK just before the Ponty meeting. One solid day in my workshop and Tobe had the set completed, it should really be Tobe doing this write-up, but I've been lucky to finish with the set, so I get to do the write-up ;)

The finishing touch for the set was done by Shaun, who mounted it in a Tx carry case in dense foam, just like commercial sets are presented in the box. We had hoped to fly it at Ponty, but the weather was against us and we had to settle for demonstrating it in its case. I have since test-flown it in my normal "test" model, a beat-up Wot4 FoamE and it performed just as well as any commercial set would.

My GTA Encoder
My GTA Encoder

The transmitter has one of my GTA encoder boards with 10 model memories and full computer transmitter functionality, a nRF24-based module (see here viewtopic.php?f=42&t=1703 ) and above, and a pair of Tobe's joysticks housed in one of Tobe's hand-made cases (see here viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1676 ). The Rx runs standard Phil_G nRF24 software (with a minor modification to make it 6 channels - see here viewtopic.php?p=13606#p13606 ).

Tobe's fantastic 3D printed mini-servo
Tobe's fantastic 3D printed mini-servo
Another view of the mini servo
Another view of the mini servo

The servos are Tobe-designed and 3D-printed mechanics and a small amplifier board that Tobe designed the circuit board and I programmed. The servo amplifier is based on an ATmega88P and DRV8837, it was initially tested using Futaba S3001 servo mechanics to the point where the servo amplifier outperforms the original, having slightly better holding torque and a slightly better centring (see here viewtopic.php?p=12921#p12921 ).

There are a few minor modifications I plan to make to suit my preferences, a neck strap and shorter stick length (alternatively using a tray would solve both). And add some menu switch symbol labels to indicate which menu switch is which to stop everybody from asking, but the modifications are only minor cosmetics. Otherwise, it's a fantastic set and not too many others are going to turn up at the airfield with one of these!
Wayne_H

Re: MiTo R/C Set (Mike - Tobe)

Post by Wayne_H »

A fantastic product beautifully executed - I salute you both :ugeek:

Oh how I want one :shock:, I love the name too :P
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
leccyflyer

Post by leccyflyer »

I was gobsmacked to see this set in action at the weekend. It oozes quality and effective execution of the available technology - the electronics are well beyond me and listening to you guys discussing the inner workings was definitely a massive "Whoosh" moment. The functionality and flexibility on offer is staggering, for a home produced piece of kit - notwithstanding that it's home produced by engineers with a deep understanding of the technology. The 3D printing is amongst the best that I've ever seen, in ABS no less and without any sign of deformation or curl.

Stylish elegance in red and grey.
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

I meant to include a short video link of the set in use, but in my haste to post, it got left out

stuart mackay

Post by stuart mackay »

Great stuff, chaps!
Stew

Post by Stew »

I was lucky enough to see this set at Ponty. It is a beautiful bit of kit. You are both very talented chaps. Stunning.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

I too saw this set at Ponte.... I was, and still am gobsmacked! 'Unbelievable ........ Well done both! :P

Paul
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

Here comes a second MiTo.
As the first one went to Mike I followed up with a second for myself. This one uses Mike's GTF and has been installed as Mike intended, behind the "label/tag" with a couple of magnets.
As it uses the GTF encoder I was able to shrink the size of the Tx.
The second MiTo as it shows in a pure retro look hiding the real truth!
The second MiTo as it shows in a pure retro look hiding the real truth!
Label/tag removed and exposing its real potential
Label/tag removed and exposing its real potential
...the guts
...the guts
Cheers,

Tobe
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

👍👍👍
Stew

Post by Stew »

It's the dog's danglies that! Very nice job.