Making circuit boards - do-able?

Single to Multi propo
Stew

Making circuit boards - do-able?

Post by Stew »

Hi all.

In my quest to have a working example of a Microtrol transmitter, (don't ask me why, I just like to try new things, and I have the book so thought I'd give it a go) I'm considering making a transmitter and receiver circuit board..
Is this a highway to disappointment? or can it be done at home? The Newell book seems to advocate doing just that, and there are full size drawings of the board layout, and that of the receiver, so that I guess that is as good a start as I'm likely to get.

Any advice?

Stew.
Martin

Re: Making circuit boards - do-able?

Post by Martin »

I've made circuit boards the old way by etching copper-clad boards in a solution of ferric chloride. Works well for single-sided boards. Boards are pretty durable anyway, but look better and are even more durable if you use the 'tin plating' chemical to plate the copper tracks after etching. Main drawback is the rather messy process (don't splash the chemicals on your clothes, and do it outside or in a shed or similar - not indoors where your furnishings or carpet might get damaged). Works better and faster on a warm day. You should consider the environment and safely dispose of, or neutralize, the chemicals after use: don't tip them down the drain!

If you're able to use a computer PCB design package to produce an on-screen representation of the PCB you want, then you'll get much better quality boards - and probably cheaper too - by using one of Chinese PCB manufacturers like PCB way or JLCPCB. They'll make and deliver a handful of boards for just a few pounds - so probably cheaper than buying the copper clad board and the etching chemicals. The boards can be double sided (or 4 or more layers if you really need them) and have plated through holes, solder mask, printed legends and artwork, etc.

KiCAD is one free PCB design package that is very capable and works well, though it does have a somewhat daunting learning curve if your'e not used to CAD packages. It's really designed for more modern electronics, and has standard layout blocks for all the common ICs and connectors, and can route the tracks using straight lines with 45-degree bevelled corners. If you want to replicate an old PCB with 'hand drawn' tracks, KiCAD can certainly do that too- even though that's not really what it was designed for.
Stew

Post by Stew »

Thanks you Martin for that excellent reply. I will certainly give it a go. Hmmm, where to get set of period sticks/gimbals...!
bluejets

Post by bluejets »

Stew wrote: 03 Aug 2023, 14:46 Any advice?
Do a copy using the free online EasyEda software, upload to one of the online pcb manufacturers (say JLCPCB) and get it professionally done for around $5.00.
There is a limit of (I think) 100mm x 100mm board size for the cheap price.
For that you'll get either 4 or 5 boards (can't remember just now) and save a lot of heartache and expense.
Take care to select an appropriate delivery, last one took about 2 weeks turnaround and cost me $10.00 all up.
In that instance I "panelized" the job and received 40 boards for the all up $10.

I too used to make my own but these days not worth getting the etch out of the cupboard, AND they weren't a patch on these professionally made mothers.
Stew

Post by Stew »

Hi.

The book has the outline of the various boards for home etching. Is it possible to copy this and convert it into a drawing acceptable by the PCB printing companies?

Stew.
bluejets

Post by bluejets »

The pcb company require the files associated with the pcb generation.
There could be as many as 5 or 6 different files associated with the process which are automatically generated when you finalise your pcb design in EasyEDA.
Manufacturer uses these files to both check your work before making the board ( and inform you of any errors) and also for the auto making of the board.
Things like layout , vias, top and bottom copper layers, top and bottom silkscreen layers, text etc.
So basically, no.

It's not all that difficult to do, maybe spend an afternoon or two getting used to the program ( plenty of online help and videos)
One can also get a 3d image of the completed board before manufacture, with or without the components mounted, whether through hole or surface mount ( I stick to the former) and you can send off this image to whomever online.

Download the program, practice on some simple circuit first and see how you go.
Below is example of a starter board for my scale model Rivierra boat.
Attachments
Starter.jpg
Flynn

Post by Flynn »

I think you can actually import an image into easyeda designer - but it has to be the pro version. I have never used it so cannot attest to how easy or effective it is but the ability is there.
You only ever need two tools....WD40 and duct tape.
If it doesn't move when it should use the WD40 and if it moves and it shouldn't use the tape.
bluejets

Post by bluejets »

Perhaps for the image alone (silkscreen), can't imagine there being any connection to the actual pcb manufacture.
Flynn

Post by Flynn »

Yes, there is. You can change any selected items layer, so if choose the top or bottom copper layers it should work.
imported image.jpg
jlcpcb.jpg
You only ever need two tools....WD40 and duct tape.
If it doesn't move when it should use the WD40 and if it moves and it shouldn't use the tape.
bluejets

Post by bluejets »

Perhaps for your picture but in real life there are details required (and included in a standard set of generated files)
Things such as location and size of through holes, size of copper layers including weight, type and availability of each component and it's relative file detail, list goes on and on.
It's not all that difficult to print out the existing design as a reference and put the devices/schematic into the pcb design software as you would normally starting from scratch.
Design I showed about took maybe an hour from beginning to (orderable) end.