Another Digimac 1+1 Conversion

Single to Multi propo
leccyflyer

Another Digimac 1+1 Conversion

Post by leccyflyer »

Following the successful conversion of my Digimac III to 2.4Ghz, using Phil's excellent encoder and the Lemon 2.4ghz module, and locating some other MacGregor transmitters, I'd put out a wanted ad for a Digimac 1+1 transmitter, which would have been my first choice back in the 70's, rather than the Gem 1+1 that I did eventually get.

Thankfully Phil was able to come up with a spare that he wasn't using, which arrived yesterday, complete with his 1+1 encoder and the Digimac 1+1 leapt to the front of the queue, ahead of the Digimac IV.

The set is quite well used and Phil had already depopulated the board leaving just the stick unit, on-off switch and single channel button for his own conversion. I could have replaced the latter two items, but they seemed to be in reasonable order, so I thought I'd try them out.
digimac 1 plus 1 internal.jpg
The various components are secured with cable ties, some double sided servo tape and in the case of the throttle setting LED a blob of hot glue. Power is supplied by a 2s1p 450mah Lipo, of which I have quite a few spares.
digimac 1 plu 1 internal finished.jpg
The 1 +1 encoder is encased in heat shrink, all pre-wired with flyleads and just needs crimping a servo plug on the PPM feed to the module, a wee bit of soldering to secure a battery supply via the switch and to tag onto the stick potentiometer. So in short order the Digimac 1+1 was done and bench tested. The biggest part of the job was reaming out the wee plastic housing for the aerial from around 8mm to 10mm, so as to allow passage of the 2.4ghz antenna and drilling a small hole in the face of the transmitter to allow the throttle setting LED to be seen. It's not pristine and exactly as original, but this is a transmitter to be used, rather than sit on the shelf.
digimac 1 plus 1 external finished.jpg
Thanks again to Phil for his help and coming up with the goods to expand my small collection of vintage transmitters. It really does make a difference to be able to fly the classic models with period appropriate equipment and I've really enjoyed dipping my toe in the single channel flying challenge.
Phil_G

Re: Another Digimac 1+1 Conversion

Post by Phil_G »

That was quick! Time to build a Poppet!
Thats it now, you have the 'bug', no going back... ask Paul :D
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

I'm Paul...... I'm a Gigaholic..... ;)
MacGregor Family.jpg
and that's only the MacGregors....... Be warned, it can be addictive!
leccyflyer

Post by leccyflyer »

That's good to see Paul.

Here's my Clan MacGregor - and that's just since Ponte in July :shock:
Clan Macgregor.jpg
leccyflyer

Post by leccyflyer »

Poppet plan already downloaded.......let's get the Go-Jet done first though.
Phil_G

Post by Phil_G »

Nah, forget that - I heard rumours of it having a jellyvator... :D
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

FWIW, my Poppet has been flying beautifully using one of Tobe's Mini Galloping Ghost servos on rudder only. It has been my most successful attempt at GG so far. It is very responsive and doesn't even wag it's tail! It would be an excellent setup to use with the 1+1 (without the +1) ;) .
Poppet GG.jpg
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

All those blue trannies & not a hairy leg or dogs dangley in site :o

Does the size of the sporran reflect the number of wee MacGregor sets owned 🤔 :lol:
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
leccyflyer

Post by leccyflyer »

Wayne :lol: - and I'm not even Scottish.

Phil - the Go-Jet is having an elevator, well two elevators, though I'm beginning to wish that I hadn't bothered with that and especially with trying to hide the control run inside the fin.

The Poppet OTOH will be strictly rudder only. It's a model that hadn't been on my radar before, but it gets such great reports from everyone who flies one as a S/C model that I'm definitely going to give it a go.

Each of the transmitters above have already had a model assigned to them, some of which aren't even built yet.
Phil_G

Post by Phil_G »

déjà vu Paul? :D :D :D