Graupner Varioprop 12S

Single to Multi propo
stuart mackay

Graupner Varioprop 12S

Post by stuart mackay »

For those following my Graupner Cirrus build in the models section of the forum viewtopic.php?f=83&t=1415 will have seen that I have been busy converting a lovely condition Tx to 2.4.to drive the Cirrus around when it is finished.

I didnt want to use my original new boxed set and servos for obvious reasons, so found an excellent condition Tx on Ebay that I could play with.

For those familiar with these Grundig built radios will know of their excellent quality, however as I was to experience, there aint a lot of spare real estate inside the case due to their relative thin depth and also the injection moulded is split into two halves. This gives a slight problem when trying to fit 40x40 mm Arduino encoder, in this case a GTS F3A and the Lemon module within the case confines. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133704108565

I used the hard plastic Lemon RF module mount https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134615248001 and tapped the mounting holes to M3 which allows it to be screwed to the back panel using two plastic screws. I thought about installing the 2.4 antenna within the original antenna mounting tube but elected to lay it in the back of the case and being as the case is plastic, it shouldnt affect the range adversely.

I also wanted to keep the nice Graupner "twig" which fitted with a sweet little red knob at the end to save poking eyes out and keep the Tx exterior as original looking as possible, so didnt go overboard fitting external rate/expo, bind button and minute minder as yet, in an attempt to maintain the lovely clean lines of the original.

I did replace the DIN charge socket with a JR type socket mounted on a replacement glass fibre board mount and am using a 2S LiPo as power.

After adding new JR plugs to the original stick pot wiring, it soon became clear that the GTS Encoder needed to live near where the two centre aux channel controls are located, but there was no space to accommodate this so a plan was hatched and the encoder and Lemon module have been located on the rear panel of the case and fixed in place with plastic standoff and screws. The battery lives in the original DEAC bay.
20231007_181237.jpg
20231007_151907.jpg
20231007_151936.jpg
20231007_152401.jpg
tiptipflyer

Re: Graupner Varioprop 12S

Post by tiptipflyer »

Again Stuart, a very nice VARIOPROP12 Tx you have here.
I did some conversions of Varioprop Txs in the last 9 years which you can find here:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=134#p320

Frank
stuart mackay

Post by stuart mackay »

Hi Frank, I have a couple of Simprop Digi4 s which I do treasure. One of which seems to have a factory fitted limiter on the right hand stick for some reason??
s-l1600 (4).jpg
125669517_1515977145458245_6142316816536987559_n.jpg
I am also looking for a stick pot (control and trim inline) to complete a Digi 2 + 1 if you know of anyone in Deutschland who might be able to help?
A-2.jpg
A.jpg
tiptipflyer

Post by tiptipflyer »

Hi Stuart
One of my two Simprop Digi4 s also has the limiter on the throttle stick. Some have and some don´t. I don´t know why.
The Simprop Digi2+1 is even harder to find than the Digi4. I think I have one transmitter (I have to check), but no spare stick unit and and I do not know of anybody who might be able to help. You Stuart and me are the only guys I know to own a Simprop Digi2+1.
Sorry that I could not help.
Frank
F2B

Post by F2B »

Great conversion!
Neat and tidy as always.

We, on mainland Europe are still craving for a EU version of the Lemon module with anything else running out.
FrSky is way behind on delivery, XHT's are either out of stock or FCC only.
And FrSky's pricing has gone through the roof: Once touched by a European representative'', mark ups of 25 Euros are common.

Not that using non-EU stuff would make any significant difference for every day's flying practice, but troubles with insurance that would make using that iffy.
Most of us are not flying in remote places, so it is a serious concern.

What would be holding back Lemon from making a EU version? It's their chance on outwitting FrSky.
F2B or not to be....
Rafael

Post by Rafael »

Hi,
I belive that Frsky XHT and XJT modules can be updated from ACCST FCC to ACCST LBT
F2B

Post by F2B »

I'm pretty sure they can technically (I've flashed some receivers from v1. to v2., long ago) , but...

That still wouldn't make those XHT transmitters legal over here.

We're choked to death by bureaucraty: Only a producer or importer can apply for CE type-approval.
The silly thing is, that my DHT's are legal, because I bought them before the cut-off date. While not complying with the LBT rules as they are now.
So the rules are stricter than strictly nescesary....

FrSky is another dissappointing example of a company that started with great ideas, consulting their customers for development ideas.
Those days are long gone. They're the typical large brand that will tell their customers, what to buy and use.

Lemon gives the impression of being like FrSky when still approachable.
So I'd get myself a Lemon rightaway, if only they had a CE type-approval.
F2B or not to be....
stuart mackay

Post by stuart mackay »

Both modules have the same CE marking/ approval.
This was done by Intertek and the plug n go is marked with CE and FCC. The DIY is the exactly the same device but sold uncased.
Both are classed as low risk devices.
LEMON FCC..CE certificate.jpg
Plug n go certification.jpg
Trust this clarifies.
Incidentally, we have sold quite a few modules to mainland Europe via our Ebay shop and never encountered any issues.
Think this might be getting a bit off topic for the conversion of Varioprop 12S :D :D :D
F2B

Post by F2B »

No no, this is useful information.
There even might one end up in a Varioprop.... :D
What I like to see though is the Intertek draft with the CE approval, this is the FCC one.
F2B or not to be....
stuart mackay

Post by stuart mackay »

The CE one is self declared.
Cheers
Stuart