Flight Link Series 1

Single to Multi propo
stuart mackay

Flight Link Series 1

Post by stuart mackay »

It exists and now resides in the Swaffham Aircraft Works collection!
An analogue proportional radio similar to but a faster pulse rate than a GG system.
No 105 so early production from 1963/4 period.
2+1 control layout and maybe a superregen set, but havent had a chance to check yet.
Presumably designed for use as a cuddle box with a two axis stick that measures 6 inches in length with fast and slow throttle buttons on the RH side.
Powered it up and meter registered, no fire, so that was a positive! The antenna is not connected to the PCB. Xtal is 27.256 and there are two valves on the board and the anodes register a current when switched on the meter.

Happy Bunny finding this and being able to ensure it exists for future generations.
20240126_130946.jpg
20240126_130836.jpg
20240126_130745.jpg
20240126_162418_copy_1200x2133.jpg
Last edited by stuart mackay on 26 Jan 2024, 17:06, edited 2 times in total.
Pchristy

Re: Flight Link Series 1

Post by Pchristy »

Back in the day, when we were all still flying on 27 MHz, that Flight Link was the only set that ever caused my Bonner Digimite to go into failsafe!

I could demonstrate it reliably! Every time the Flight Link got between me and my model, my model fail-safed! As soon as it emerged from the "shadow" of the Flight Link, normal control was restored!

The early sets were all super-regen receivers, but this guy in our club was one of the development pilots, and had got hold of a prototype superhet receiver.

Mind you, the problem with the Tx splattering might just have had something to do with the fact that he was generating the HT voltage for the valve with a trembler coil, powered by a lead-acid accumulator in a satchel slung over his shoulder!!! But bearing in mind we were operating at 50 KHz channel spacing, that still doesn't say much about any filtering circuits in the Tx....!

:lol:

--
Pete
stuart mackay

Re: Flight Link Series 1

Post by stuart mackay »

Mike Kitchen has been doing some digging on his Flight Link Series1 and it seems his is a very early serial no 003!
Well done Mike for unearthing probably what was a pre -production or prototype transmitter! :o :o :o :o