Wire gauge

Single to Multi propo
Stew

Wire gauge

Post by Stew »

Hi all.
I have come to the stage in my Skyleader Clubman rebuild that I need to wire in the Arduino to the various bits and bobs. Can anyone tell me what wire gauge is to be used, and if there is a wiring colour code that people tend to stick to? Also, is it best to use cable ties, or the waxed cotton stuff for making the wires neat?

Cheers people

Stew.
_AL_

Re: Wire gauge

Post by _AL_ »

I normally use those cheap 26 gauge servo extension leads from Hobby King & cut the female end off.
Most of your connections will be Pos, Neg & Sig so servo leads work nicely.
I use cheap coloured cable ties from the bargain store as they seem to be the smallest ones I can find.
Attachments
Inside.jpg
Stew

Post by Stew »

Cheers Al. Goodness knows why I didn't think of that!
Phil_G

Post by Phil_G »

The document wrote:Connecting up: We’ve found that twisted servo plugs make a much neater job than flat servo cable.
I buy 30 or 50cm leads wrongly advertised as "male to male" leads & snip them in two :D
There are UK sellers on ebay who do bundles of them at reasonable prices, so delivery is quick, eg:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHJX19-5pcs-3 ... 1735167444

Which bit is male & which female depends on your point of view and is a long-standing debate.
As comms engineers, we were taught that however complex the connector shape or moulding, regardless
of shrouds fitting inside or ouside, the bit that defines the gender is the contact pin or socket.
So to me, Alan, Ron, Shaun & probably many others, a servo has a female connector Image

I think the 'wrong' annotation arrived with products aimed at the American market.

Cheers
Phil
Spike S

Post by Spike S »

"I think the 'wrong' annotation arrived with products aimed at the American market."
No surprise there; their on/off switches go the 'wrong' way as well ! :D
Spike S
(Tune for maximum smoke)
Stew

Post by Stew »

Cheers Phil 'RTFM' I'm always saying that at work. Bits duly ordered.