Odd Ball - Single Stick Radios

Single to Multi propo
Shaun

Odd Ball - Single Stick Radios

Post by Shaun »

Here's a prototype SLM set I got from Martin the owner...

It appeared once in a RCM&E advert.
SLM Single Stick.JPG
I know Pete is a fan of single stick radios... maybe he will post some of his examples.

Shaun
Spike S

Re: Odd Ball - Single Stick Radios

Post by Spike S »

Probably available elsewhere but new item in Robotshop:
https://www.robotshop.com/uk/3-axis-joy ... utton.html
Spike S
(Tune for maximum smoke)
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Here's the Daddy in my opinion, I've always wanted one of these.. not my picture , can't remember where I got it from but if it's yours let me know and I'll credit you.

OS Single Stick.jpg
Shaun
Last edited by Shaun on 04 Mar 2018, 22:49, edited 1 time in total.
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

And a couple more for you Shaun...

A Flight Link Sovereign Single Stick

DSC_0096A.jpg

And an Orbit Single Stick from the mid 60's (sorry about the S/C in the photo, it was the only photo of the Orbit I had to hand).

DSC_0192A.jpg

I've also got a Kraft Gold Medal and Proline Single stick transmitters kicking about somewhere, but they're quite common compared to the OS Digital, let alone the SLM prototype.

Has anybody on the forum actually flown with a single stick transmitter, I'll be honest I haven't. Must give it a try one day.

Mike
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Pete Christy - the helicopter king is your single stick man.

I flew large slope gliders for a few months on single stick. I converted my RCM&E digital set I built with the same SLM stick unit shown in prototype radio in the initial post. Changed it back - it didn't feel natural.

Pete designed a number of radios back in the day; remember the Talisman range? I have some of them including his UHF design that he serviced for me. Pete also modified some German Multiplex UHF sets to UK compliance for Roy Lever (Powermax) - he kindly let me have the first one he converted last year for the collection.

I'm sure if he picks up on this thread he will tell the story.

Shaun
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

Yes I forgot Pete has flown single stick, in fact I think he flies any mode you throw at him including Mode Zero!

He posted a picture on the "other forum" of a single stick Talisman UHF he'd acquired that he said he must have built, but he didn't realise they even existed. Maybe we'll see it at Ponty?

Mike
Martin

Post by Martin »

I saw Curtis Youngblood fly single stick when he was World Model Helicopter Champion. He was sponsored by JR radio and for the publicity photographs held a pristine top-of-the-line JR transmitter, but the one he actually used in competition was horribly butchered with wires emerging from rough holes and then routed up the stick with zip ties and electrical tape to the twist pot on top.

He also had a circular template epoxied to the stick gimbal so that the limit of stick movement was a circle rather than the square you get normally - he had the swash plate on the heli set up so that full movement of the stick against the circular template would not-quite cause binding of the linkages - without the template, pushing the sticks into the corners would cause the swash plate to tilt too much and bind/damage the linkages.

Needless to say, he flew great with that hacked-about transmitter, but having said that I watched another helicopter pilot who flew normal twin stick hand over his helicopter and transmitter to Curtis to get some opinion and advice and Curtis seemed to me to fly equally well using the standard transmitter.
jmp_blackfoot

Post by jmp_blackfoot »

Shaun wrote: 04 Mar 2018, 12:08 Here's the Daddy in my opinion, I've always wanted one of these.. not my picture , can't remember where I got it from but if it's yours let me know and I'll credit you. Shaun
This is my OS 6 transmitter. I've since 3D printed a replacement lever for the missing one. It has by far the highest radiated RF power of any 27 MHz transmitter i've handled.
Herewith a picture of a home made transmitter before fitting a PhilG's coder and FrSky DHT, also of a rare single-stick PCS and of an ACE Olympic.
IMG_0133.JPG
IMG_0134.JPG
IMG_1823.JPG
IMG_0195.JPG
pulserudder

Post by pulserudder »

I'm ambidextrous - fly single or dual stick. Still have the Ace Olympic 5 single stick as pictured above, on AM no less. Packed away now after a recent move. I also flew the JR PCM 9 single stick in the helicopter version for over 20 years before passing it on to a collector. Learned to hover on a made in the U.K. MFA Sport 500 before moving on to collective pitch machines. Also flew single stick with a kit-built RCM Digitrio transmitter on 27 megs, built back in the late 60's by a grand gentleman who was an RC pioneer in coastal South Carolina, where I grew up. Passed that one on to a collector as well.

As for that "butchered" transmitter Youngblood flew, it was a modified JR PCM 10 computer radio - he wanted the programming not available on the older JR 9 channel single stick, which was all switches and pots. At that point, JR had quit producing single stick transmitters, so Curtis made his own. Got to see him fly. Really, quite something.

Thanks for bringing back the great memories.
hangflyer

Post by hangflyer »

Here's the radio that got me into the hobby. I received the kit, from my wife, for Christmas of 1974 and had it, and the receiver and servos, built by New Year's Day. It's my next conversion project.

It's the 4 channel version of the kit.

DSCN1336.JPG

John