KO Digiace 4 from 1969 (conversion)

Single to Multi propo
Phil_G

KO Digiace 4 from 1969 (conversion)

Post by Phil_G »

I've been meaning to update my old 27mhz KO Digiace for some time. This set is a bit nostalgic for me as at 15 years old I had a 5am milk-round and saved up my wages for months to buy it, and also because it brought some competition success (slope aerobatics & pylon racing) back in 1970. This is the second conversion I've done using the DigiSpark and the 4-channel encoder, the first being the Multplex Pico-line that I used as a prototype. As a 4-channel propo encoder it needs all the DigiSpark's I/O, achieved using the fuse programmer.

By way of a change from 2.4g this one uses a Hitec 35mhz module (from Profi) on my lucky channel of 76.
Looking into the back of the set, the RF module is top left and the DigiSpark encoder top right.
I've not fitted the S/C button as I feel it would spoil what was a very 'plain' set.

I was very happy with Corona synthesised receivers back in the 35mhz days so thats what I'm using. I might fit the Corona inside the original Digiace receiver case, not sure. I have a few so might do that 'for show' but fly it with bare receivers.

IMG_20190527_001814.jpg

I find the comparison of old and new electronics really amusing - the old Digiace board had no facilities at all, not even servo reversing. It was the full planform of the transmitter, whereas its replacement is 3/4" square!

digiace_enc.jpg

The tiny white thing top-right is the new encoder!

Img_5380.jpg

IMG_20190527_001305.jpg

The meter reads just right with a fixed 100k in series, as long as it moves I'm not fussed about expanded scales or anything. From outside the set looks completely standard, with no extra buttons, switches or LEDs behind the meter, with just the lovely original satin steel finish.

The finished set works great, I've been flying it in the old EasyStar, I'd forgotten how much fun that is being hugely overpowered, with vertical climbs and long glides a battery can last well over an hour.
The DigiAce feels no different to how I remember it used to be, but with a few extra bells & whistles and hopefully a much better proposition on 35 rather than 27mhz :D

Cheers
Phil

Edit: The revamped DigiAce has flown many, many times since, and I've recently updated the firmware to the current V2 with the dual maps and throttle soft-lock alarm. Love this set!
Carl

Re: KO Digiace 4 from 1969 (conversion)

Post by Carl »

Very nice Phil.

Which models did you have competition success with? Perhaps build one of them to go with the transmitter - that'll complete the whole nostalgic moment for you :)
Carl

------------------------------------
STILL LEARNING
Phil_G

Post by Phil_G »

It was my Aquarius Carl, a fairly standard O/D kipper inspired by the Phase 2 (as were many at the time)
No-one will remember it though, as back then almost everyone flew own-designs. I was 15.
Theres no plan (it was 50 years ago!) and I think I only have this one photo. I could try from memory
but as Shaun will confirm, my memory is made of swiss cheese now...
Nice idea though!

tinkers_1970.jpg

tinkers_1970_models.jpg

tinkers_1970_names.jpg

Aq_1970.jpg
Aq_1970.jpg (29.9 KiB) Viewed 4014 times

IMG_3165.JPG

I found another must have been an earlier pic as it shows the Staveley radio.
I do remember that the model died in a mid-air on Bradwell Edge!

phil_aquarius_od_soarcerer_tinkers_1970.jpg

...and another! I will keep looking, see if there are any more. Carls idea might be a go-er!

phil_aquarius_od_aero&pylon_winner_na_sept_1970.jpg

Found one of its sad demise... but theres the old faithful Digiace!

midair_kipper.jpg
RON
Site Admin

Post by RON »

You’ve never changed Phil :D

Loads of soarcerers around then.

Ron
G0MBV Class A Radio Amateur, North Yorkshire
Phil_G

Post by Phil_G »

As it happens Ron I've been intending to spruce-up my old Soarcerer too, that would be a nice home for the Digiace. I might make a new fus though, mine always "looked funny" as I'd reduced the depth to suit 4" wood... :D

soarcerer.jpg

Looking for 35mhz receivers, at the back of my shed I found the old Easystar, still ready to go on 35 so I nipped down the Park with it this evening. This means the Digiace in its new 'DigiSparked' format has had its first outing in well over 40 years!
Only had one flight, but 45 minutes of climbing to a dot then gliding as long as poss, all very relaxing.
No problems other than the trims being a bit stiff and having to remember to extend the aerial (its been a while...) the Digiace behaved exactly as I remembered - its not a fancy set but it just gets on with the job :D
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Phil, just add a bit of wood onto your old fus to get it back to plan. :D

Shaun
RON
Site Admin

Post by RON »

That would be good Phil,
I’ll get my soarcerer out and we can have a battle

Ron.
G0MBV Class A Radio Amateur, North Yorkshire
Carl

Post by Carl »

You dug out some great photos and memories there Phil. I was only 4 when you won that competition.
Carl

STILL LEARNING