Silverstone 2 channel

Single to Multi propo
KeyboardKid

Re: Silverstone 2 channel

Post by KeyboardKid »

Weightlifter lineup.jpg
The attached photo is of a lineup of Silvertone Weightlifter RPVs. These were sold to various customers which included CSIRO, Weapons Research Establishment, as well as contracted out to the ADF and sold to private customers.
As we lost the Redeye missile contract to De Havilland Aircraft the full fibreglass Weightlifter never eventuated.
The Weightlifters shown were fiberglass fuselages with balsa covered wings and tails.
It was a great aircraft to fly and my own personal Weightlifter was used in many development projects including my early experiments in Aerial photography, Autonomous flight as well as the Redeye training project.
My old faithful Weightlifter was lost as a result of an autopilot failure somewhere around 2010. Forty years of heavy duty flying. I think I got my monies worth out of that aircraft.
Cheers,
KK
Attachments
SILVERTONE WEIGHTLIFTER RPV.docx
(69.34 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
KeyboardKid

Post by KeyboardKid »

Bob and Flam prototype.jpg
Howdy Boys,
The attached photo is of KK and the prototype Silvertone Flamingo UAV. (2006)
The Flamingo is an all fiberglass UAV designed and built here in Australia.
Silvertone has delivered these to customers all around the world including the USAF, Royal Thai Airforce, customers in Brazil, Queensland University of Technology (QUT) and private customers. Silvertone is still going strong and operating in Wagga Wagga NSW.
John Haren and myself started working on the Flamingo in 2005 as a coffee shop project. By Jan 2007 the first prototype flew and by 2009 the first delivery to the USAF was complete.
I retired in 2013 exactly 50 years after I I purcgased Silvertone from John Marquette. I handed the reins to Ken Taylor in September 2013 and he has done well by the compant since then.
Someone in an earlier post mentioned that they had never heard of Silvertone which amazes me as I have had over 150 articles published in magazines such as RCM&E (UK), RCM (US), Airborne (Aust), Silicon Chip (Aust). Still it is a very big world and those articles were spread out over 60 years.
What a life! I think it is fair to say that I lived the dream. :D
Cheers,
KK
KeyboardKid

Post by KeyboardKid »

chair1.jpg
Howdy All,
In a previous post somebody mentioned my flying chair.
The photo shows the chair, a very young KK (1969) and the model I set the Australian R/C speed record with.
The chair was built due to the fact that I was building a twin engine model and I could not work out how to get independant control of each throttle on a conventional TX.
As it turned out this project gave birth to the "Silvertone Buddy Box" which was included in every Silvertone TX from 1968 on.
The chair was difficult to get used to at first but once mastered it was great.
Cheers,
KK
KeyboardKid

Post by KeyboardKid »

kb2.jpg
Howdy All,
For those who are wondering about the KeyboardKid tag....no I am not the Piano Man.
I call myself the KeyboardKid because back in time so far away that I cannot remember I invented a variable bandwidth frequency control system to safely operate R/C systems of various bandwidths. This was based on using frequency keys of widths proportional to the bandwidth of the R/C system associated with it.
It replaced the old peg system and eventually became the Australian National frequency control system when it was adopted by the MAAA.
As an added safety feature when the key was not is use it was plugged into the TX thereby rendering it safe if the TX was accidentally left on in the TX pound.
This system saved a lot of models over the years.
Cheers,
KK
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

KK check you messages :D

Shaun
KeyboardKid

Post by KeyboardKid »

Bob and Bubbles.jpg
Hi Shaun,
I have checked my messages and replied thanks Shaun.
In my reply I mentioned running for Government in my spare time.
The attached photo is of KK with Bubbles the campaigning Robot.
Bubbles was an R/C controlled entertainment center complete with record player, radio microphone, R/C system to control speed and steering as well as carry my Billboard.
Bubbles helped me to land a TV spot on an afternoon talk show as well as demonstrating the way I do things.
Sadly or perhaps not so sadly I ran close to being elected only once missing by 400 votes.
Still one time I was running against a future Prime Minister so he was a tough opponent.
Cheers,
KK
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

Hi Bob

Thanks for sharing the history of Silvertone with us, I always find it fascinating to read about the history of the early R/C pioneers, especially when told by those involved. I didn't realise Silvertone were being manufactured from 1950, that really is one of the pioneers and a contemporary of the ED and ECC sets from the UK and the Babcocks, Berkeleys and Citizenships from the USA. And Once for left, twice for right would confuse quite a few single-channel fliers in the UK!

I have a solitary Silvertone in my collection and had to buy it from eBay.com.au and have it shipped over to the UK, I don't think they were ever marketed in the UK? It seems well made, with Dunham sticks, was that one of the later models? But the Silvertone keyboard "frequency peg" system did get publicised in the RCM&E a few times but never caught on in the UK as the peg system was so well established, even though the keyboard was probably a better system.

Cheers

Mike
KeyboardKid

Post by KeyboardKid »

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the nice compliments.
The reference to 1950 was an error I am sorry to say and the correct starting date for Advance R/C the company that manufactured the Silvertone range of R/C equipment was in actual fact 1958.
I built Silvertone sets as a part time job for Advance when I was working full time as a Gymnastic and Trampoline instructor in 1961-62.
I purchased the manufacturing rights for Silvertone R/C gear in June 1963 and began operation as Silvertone Electronics on the 1st July 1963.
I sold Silvertone Electronics to Ken Taylor in September 2013 , a fraction over 50 years of non stop operation.
Looking back over those years it was an incredible experience, an experience that I will be eternally grateful for.
I still miss it even after 8 years of retirement.
Cheers,
KK
KeyboardKid

Post by KeyboardKid »

QR8.jpg
For those who are curious about what I am doing in retirement the photo attached says it all.
Meet Quadraptor VTOL UAV, a vertical take off and landing aircraft designed as a long endurance VTOL aircraft.
The advantage of this aircraft being that all 5 motors provide thrust for take-off and landing.
In horizontal flight after transition altitude is obtained the electric motors are shut down and the folding props automatically fold.
Transition altitude being that altitude deemed safe to transition to horizontal flight.
The black landing struts are retracted soon after take off and remain retracted until a landing is imminent. I have extended the landing struts a little since this photo was taken to give a more vertical stance.
This has been a very complicated project requiring me to learn about Quads, flight controllers and a myriad of other details. More than enough to fill in my idle hours.
Still it does keep my old urges under control.... :D
Cheers,
KK
_AL_

Post by _AL_ »

Thanks for the pics & history Bob.

That single channel looks familiar. Here's mine.
Attachments
4.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg