Transmitter project (gear wanted)

Single to Multi propo
Stew

Transmitter project (gear wanted)

Post by Stew »

Hi all.
As I'm dipping my toe back into R/C after nearly abandoning the hobby for various reasons, I thought it might be good to convert an old transmitter to 2.4 with a 'hack' module and Arduino control.
I've played with Arduinos in the past, and had some limited success, more for lack of effort than anything else. However, money has been spent now! I have set up a computer and desk in my workspace, ordered an Arduino Nano, and now I'm looking for a donor transmitter. Something straightforward that would give me something to convert, with a good chance of success. Perhaps being able to add functions as my ability increases.
I am fascinated by older computers, coding, electronics and do on, but never had much confidence. I started on the conversion of a silver Fleet transmitter a while back but it was way too complex in the way the trims were needing to be wired in.
Does anyone have a suitable donor transmitter they'd be willing to sell on? I quite like the Yellow Skyleaders amongst others.

Stew.
Stew

Re: Transmitter project (gear wanted)

Post by Stew »

Phil_G wrote:I've a 'spare' OS Cougar 4 you can have
Thanks Phil, and apologies for my delay in replying. That's very generous of you. The OS Tx would be a great bit of kit to get up and running with my new toys. I have an Arduino Uno and Nano, and thanks to the help of another forum member I can program them both using my Linux PC (I'd previously only been able to do so with my partner's Windows PC, which I tend to avoid as I like to tinker..) My PC runs Trisquel, which is 'Libre' software, Stallman style...

So, I'm making slow progress. I'm looking forward to having a go at tinkering with the OS. I will send you a PM and we can work out posting etc. I'm after a few other bits and bobs from you if you have time, I remember you get busy with the dogs in the summer.

Cheers

Stew.
Stew

Re: Transmitter project

Post by Stew »

Well I've got my lovely OS Cougar set from Phil, (cheers fella!) and I've carefully de-soldered the original board, (so if anyone wants it and the original aerial FOC, let me know).
I've soldered the servo extension leads to the stick pots and I've done the modifications to back of the Funduino 'Red' board (without melting anything!!) to which I'm attaching my Arduino Nano. I've ordered the USBASP and some switches for the different functions, a battery, a few servos, a Frsky receiver etc. I've soldered in my Frsky 'Hack' module, and mounted the aerial. I've cleaned the case (green pan scourer and tiny amount of soapy water rubbed over gently works wonders and doesn't damage the finish).
It may have been an idea to drill the case to fit the extra switches before doing all this of course, but nothing is mounted permanently to the case yet, so it can all be removed to limit swarf getting in the gubbins. I did think of keeping the outside simple, but the temptation to make it all singing and dancing was too much. (I like switches and buttons...) The switches I've ordered are in keeping with the look and period of the set.
I need to source some plastic stand-off's to mount the Red board, and some servo tape to mount the Frsky module.
It's all coming together nicely though. I must post some photos!
All I need is some of the black cosmetic covers for the front of the stick gimbals. I may be able to get these 3d printed perhaps?

Stew.
Stew

Post by Stew »

Managed to programme the Arduino Nano via USBASP. (I've only done it t'other way until now).
OMG what a cornucopia of confusion and nonsense that was!
For some reason I couldn't do a damn thing with it using the 'family' Win 7 PC, it obviously wasn't fluent in the binary language of moisture vaporators....but then I scuttled upstairs to the 'man cave' and fired up the trusty Linux PC. Bingo. Sorted.
So I now have the 7 channel sketch uploaded, and shouldn't have any problems...
Getting there now.

Stew.
F2B

Post by F2B »

The plot thickens..... ;)
F2B or not to be....