Flight Link 2+1 Analogue Proportional

Single to Multi propo
Mike_K

Flight Link 2+1 Analogue Proportional

Post by Mike_K »

One of my latest acquisitions is this Flight Link 2+1 Analogue. It's a type of "cuddle box" shape and the throttle is progressive like a galloping ghost set, with the throttle slow and fast switches on the side. But the slow switch is above the fast switch which is counter-intuitive! I've got a receiver and two servos for it (bought separately a few years back) and the servos are HUGE. And I mean huge, I don't have anything near to their size except some industrial Futaba servo's used in early large scale models. It's a shame I haven't got a third servo, so I've no idea if it would be the same or different as it's progressive. Another one to test and get working as there's no way this will get converted to 2.4.

IMG_20180214_000843A.jpg
IMG_20180217_185333A.jpg
Mike
Mike_K

Re: Flight Link 2+1 Analogue Proportional

Post by Mike_K »

Hi Phil

Is Idris "still around"? It would great to speak with one of the British pioneers of the sport.

I have a few other mint condition Flight Links and have a single stick FLC Sovereign sitting on the desk next to me at the moment. I keep a small collection on the top of my office draws, so if I get board I can have a 30 second play before I have to get back to work! Every few weeks I have a bit of a swap around, but I must like the current lot as they've been there since before Christmas. And I think they all work except the Citizenship and the Good Brother (which I haven't plucked up the courage to test). The previous owner of the Good Brothers told me it hadn't been used since 1950 so it may need a bit of work?

Cheers

Mike

IMG_20180109_small.jpg
Back row: Citizenship NPT Galloping Ghost, Multiplex Europa 27MHz FM, F&M Matador
Middle Back Row: MRC MKV, Skyleader SLX, Waltron 4-5
Front Middle Row Skyleader SL, Skyleader TSX FM, Graupner Variophon 10S, Good Brothers/Beacon S/C
Front Row: FLC Sovereign Single Stick, Skyleader 3S, GEM4 (metal case) and a OS 6 channel reed in its case

Oh and a Mills 1.3 just to remind me it isn't all about radio's
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Wow! :shock: That's some collection you have there! :)

Paul
PJG

Post by PJG »

The long arm of coincidence:
Idris Francis popped up last week, in a long-belated response to a post I made on RCGroups some years ago.

See https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthr ... st39177928

(and a lot more history on the previous RCGroups post by Idris himself).
PJG
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

I'd better dig out all my Flight Link sets and get them all together for a quick photo. :D

Nobody in my club had a FLC set at the time, I only got mine in recent years, so I didn't know how good or not they were, but the joysticks are a delight. They're not open gimbal but they're a match for any current transmitter, Futaba, Spektrum, JR and Jeti included. But the joysticks on the Sovereign series are quite widely spaced apart and you would have to use a neck strap to hold it comfortably.

And I've got a couple of FLC joysticks from scrapped mobility scooters, they're very similar to the joysticks in the transmitters. I think FLC only stopped trading a few years ago and were the last of the British R/C manufactures still in business, albeit not producing R/C sets in the later years.
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

I've done some research on the FLC MK1 in old RCM&E mags from 1965 and I found a review of the set and even the circuit diagram. But I'm a bit disappointed as the Rx and servos that I have and assumed were for the set are completely different :(

With a closer look there is some marking on the Rx case, that has faded or been robbed off over the years and it is either FLC Dual or Duet? I'll take some pictures when I get a chance to see if anybody recognise it.

So if anybody has a1965 FLC MK1 flight pack they'd like to swap for a FLC two channel flight pack, I'd be happy to oblige!

Mike
stuart mackay

Post by stuart mackay »

Mike, the 2 channel radio was the Duette.
According to the FLC advert in March 74 Radio Modeller, the Duette was £74.90 and produced predominately for Marine use.
I still have my single stick Sovereign which I bought in 1973, with switched frequencies and the DEACs still show glimmer of power too. have about 10 servos which are gorgeous, smooth and very slow!
I have the advert here which I can scan in for you, but a, unsure how to post pics, perhaps a grown up will be along soon to tell me! :lol:
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

stuart mackay wrote: 01 Mar 2018, 11:00 Mike, the 2 channel radio was the Duette.
According to the FLC advert in March 74 Radio Modeller, the Duette was £74.90 and produced predominately for Marine use.
Thanks Stuart for pointing me in the right direction. Most of my mags from the early 70's are boxed up in the garage, I must get them out.
Phil_G wrote: 01 Mar 2018, 11:10 I have a Duette, unfortunately at some stage it has been recovered in black 'Fablon' :
Phil how long before this one will be converted to 2.4, black fablon included!!

Cheers

Mike
stuart mackay

Post by stuart mackay »

Here is the advert for March 74 RM
Attachments
Mar 74 Radio Modeller.jpg
jackdaw

Post by jackdaw »

This just popped up on 'face ache' . Part way in is Idris Francis flying using one of his Tx with a 3 axis stick.
https://www.facebook.com/BBCArchive/vid ... 353097866/