2.4 Ghz conversion PolyProp (Skyleader) transmitter.

Single to Multi propo
Nico_S

2.4 Ghz conversion PolyProp (Skyleader) transmitter.

Post by Nico_S »

Some time ago I came into possession of an approximately 40 year old PolyProp transmitter, receiver, servo's, a corresponding battery charger and battery tester. All this with manual, original bill and packaging. PolyProp is a (former) Dutch manufacturer of radio control and the material has strong similarities with the English brand Skyleader.

I converted the transmitter to 2.4 GHz. For this I used an Arduino Nano and a shield. Furthermore I built a Jeti TU2 2.4 GHz module. First I used the "old" software from Phil. That worked without any problems. After Phil's "new" software appeared, I started using it. This required some adjustments in the software to be able to use it with the shield. I also made adjustments to adapt the software to my wishes.

I now have several flights with the PolyProp transmitter and everything works without any problems.

The last two years I have built two vintage airplanes. A Veron Sky Skooter and a Courtesan. The drawings for these are from Outerzone. Both planes are adapted for electric propulsion. With vintage airplanes comes a vintage transmitter. Go use the PolyProp transmitter to control the Sky Skooter and the Courtesan.

Fly for many years with Jeti equipment. Especially the good telemetry and the possibility to log it appeals to me. The Sky Skooter and the Courtesan also have telemetry on board. A GPS, a vario altimeter and electrical information from the engine. If I use the PolyProp transmitter, I lose the telemetry option. Vintage doesn't have to mean the loss of modern achievements!

I connect the PolyProp transmitter wirelessly via the Jeti TU2 module as a student transmitter to my Jeti transmitter. The Jeti transmitter transmits the control information from the PolyProp transmitter to the aircraft and logs the telemetry. An additional advantage is that it is not necessary to tie the receiver to the TU2 module in the PolyProp transmitter.

Below pictures of the PolyProp transmitter, the Sky Skooter and the Courtesan.

With kind regards,

Nico

DSC_3529.JPG
DSC_3532.JPG
DSC_3311.JPG
DSC_3306.JPG
Wayne_H

Re: 2.4 Ghz conversion PolyProp (Skyleader) transmitter.

Post by Wayne_H »

Hi Nico, welcome to the forum ;) and well done with the "marriage" of the old(?) PolyProp to the modern Phil_G & Jeti technology.

Your Sky Skooter looks very nice - the Sky Skooter was my first r/c model, fitted with a Mkll O.S. Pixie and E.D. 1.46 diesel. Youthful exuberance combined with virtually no idea of what I was doing meant successful flights were few & far between :lol: Regardless, the Sky Skooter holds a special place in my modelling life. I have an original kit, destined to have a (gigified) Pixie & electric power. What are the details of your e-propulsion system?
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
Nico_S

Re: 2.4 Ghz conversion PolyProp (Skyleader) transmitter.

Post by Nico_S »

At the age of 17, I built my first RC plane. A Sky Skooter. I don't remember if it was a kit, or if it was built from a drawing. But a kit was priceless to me then. Think I built from a drawing. The engine was a 1.5 cc diesel engine and the controls a self-built one-channel set. The Sky Skooter flew, but where it went, I have no idea...

Now more than 50 years later I built a second Sky Skooter. https://www.modelbouwforum.nl/threads/b ... st-3878902
The 'new' Sky Skooter is electrically powered. A Turnigy D2830/11 1100 Kv with a Graupner 8 x 4 Slim Prop and a three cell 1250 mAh battery provides more than enough power.

Nico

DSC_3534.JPG