Mainstream GEM 1 + 1

Single to Multi propo
stuart mackay

Mainstream GEM 1 + 1

Post by stuart mackay »

Talking to fellow Simprop afficionado, Mike Kitchen, he suggested that I post some pics of the unused or pretty much Mint in the Box Mainstream Gem 1 that I have and, that when a PP3 and 4 x AAs are added, still will waggle the servos!.

Mike feels there might well be a technical connection between the Simprop Single channel propo set, the Super 1, from 1969, (Peter Gruchot sent me a copy of the original Simprop magazine ad that is reproduced below) and teh GEM 1.
Mike knows that the Mainstream produced/ assembled versions of the Simprop Digi 5 and 2+1 have a large amount of electrical circuitry similarity with the later produced plastic-cased GEM range of sets.

The rudder stick has a sort of proportional control over the servo, which has a distinct Simprop look to it, the motor servo is a sequential and keeps rotating and will cycle the throttle control between slow and fast, releasing the rocker stops the "servo". The rudder servo also flaps from side to side whilst all the throttle action is taking place!

Anyway, if anyone knows more, then please chime in, I fear all my contacts in Harswewinkel at Simprop who might have been able to give a definitive answer have long passed on.

so here is a reversed (!) unboxing sequence of photos for those who may never have seen one of these little GEMs (!) :lol: :oops: I'll grab my coat!
1968 Simprop Digi 1 advert
1968 Simprop Digi 1 advert
simpropsuper1.jpg
Stuart Mackay Gem1
Stuart Mackay Gem1
Stuart Mackay Gem
Stuart Mackay Gem
Stuart Mackay Gem
Stuart Mackay Gem
Stuart Mackay Gem
Stuart Mackay Gem
DSCF9419.JPG
DSCF9417.JPG
DSCF9416.JPG
DSCF9414.JPG
DSCF9413.JPG
DSCF9412.JPG
DSCF9411.JPG
DSCF9410.JPG
DSCF9409.JPG
DSCF9408.JPG
DSCF9407.JPG
DSCF9406.JPG
DSCF9405.JPG
Last edited by stuart mackay on 19 Apr 2020, 10:02, edited 2 times in total.
Mike_K

Re: Mainstream GEM 1 + 1

Post by Mike_K »

Thanks for the photo's Stuart, I love these quirky old 1+1 sets, especially when they are in mint condition like this one.

Just to add to the GEM theme, here are a couple of GEM4's, but I know there are more GEM4 versions out there, Shaun has an earlier one with Bonner sticks.

GEM4.jpg
Mike