Zeitgeist - s/c and galloping ghost

They stay up by magic!
Martin

Re: Zeitgeist - s/c and galloping ghost

Post by Martin »

rcKeith on YouTube has posted a video about a 'needle cutter' for depron. He says that for CNC cutting of depron it's better than a laser. The idea is that a rapidly reciprocating needle (like a sewing machine), punches holes through the depron, and if the reciprocation rate is high enough, and the 'feed rate' low enough, then the holes join up to form a cut.

He's done other videos about how to convert paper plans, PDFs and similar into suitable gcode to drive CNC machines. Recommended.
Nick M

Post by Nick M »

On video his pieces look very clear - but school has a laser cutter and nothing for sewing. He's found a good solution

Laser cuts work well but can leave a mottled burnt edge on the underside of thicker depron if the power or speed are wrong. Usually works in the end!
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Nick M wrote: 09 Feb 2022, 19:18 ....
Laser cuts work well but can leave a mottled burnt edge on the underside of thicker depron if the power or speed are wrong. Usually works in the end!
I imagine Needle cutting would generate "dust" - I have no idea what the particulate sizes may be - while laser cutting would generate fumes. Any ideas which would be the "healthier" choice, particularly long-term?? Fume hoods, dust extraction, etc could mitigate, but I don't see much of that in the videos I've watched.
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
Nick M

Post by Nick M »

The workshop technician told me depron laser cut fumes are very bad for you - big extractor fan and sealed laser cutter but same used for all materials

No desire to find out the hard way...
Martin

Post by Martin »

rcKeith posted a new video to his YouTube channel today.

I took the chance to ask him in the comments section about any 'depron dust' from his Needle cutter. His reply: "There is no dust that I can detect from the depron. The needle is sharpened to a point and it just pierces the foam. So very little health hazard."

I also checked on other forums for Needle cutter posts, and they seemed to agree: hardly any detectable dust, and what little there might be gets trapped in the 'underlay' that the depron or foamboard being cut sits on.